20 gallon stocking suggestions

Solstice_Lacer

I'm looking at picking up a 20 gallon "D" shaped/bow front tank cheap from Craigslist. 

I'm open to stocking suggestions, but I'd prefer things that can thrive around room temperature. My 29 gallon stays around 73/74 Fahrenheit without a heater for reference. 

I've seen info saying honey gourami will be ok around that temp, but Idk if it would be too stressful for them. I know there's not a lot of "centerpiece" options without a heater.

Edited by Solstice_Lacer

On 8/7/2021 at 9:53 PM, GameCzar said:

Zebra Danios would love that tank!

Zebras all the way they are a blast! but if you want a smaller colorful fish Celestial pearl danios adore that temp and are less prone to nipping long fins and snail tentacles ooo ohh ooh or both 😍I don’t know if they play well together I never kept both in the same tank. 

• Like 2

On 8/7/2021 at 10:00 PM, Guppysnail said:

Zebras all the way they are a blast! but if you want a smaller colorful fish Celestial pearl danios adore that temp and are less prone to nipping long fins and snail tentacles ooo ohh ooh or both 😍I don’t know if they play well together I never kept both in the same tank. 

Ooooh, Both!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/7/2021 at 8:38 PM, Solstice_Lacer said:

I'm looking at picking up a 20 gallon "D" shaped/bow front tank cheap from Craigslist. 

I'm open to stocking suggestions, but I'd prefer things that can thrive around room temperature. My 29 gallon stays around 73/74 Fahrenheit without a heater for reference. 

I've seen info saying honey gourami will be ok around that temp, but Idk if it would be too stressful for them. I know there's not a lot of "centerpiece" options without a heater.

There are many fish from subtropical regions that would work perfectly. I keep my tanks at 72 Fahrenheit, and my endler's livebearers, pearl gourami, siamese flying foxes, and cories thrive. This being said, it does depend on where you get your fish. So some safe options I would say are danios and white clouds (as mentioned above), paradise fish, rosy barbs, variatus platies, or cories. The cories I would choose in particular would be peppered cories (Corydoras paleatus), since they are most adaptable in my experience.

Here is a list by Cory:

I hope this helps!

• Like 1

On 8/8/2021 at 10:05 AM, CorydorasEthan said:

There are many fish from subtropical regions that would work perfectly. I keep my tanks at 72 Fahrenheit, and my endler's livebearers, pearl gourami, siamese flying foxes, and cories thrive. This being said, it does depend on where you get your fish. So some safe options I would say are danios and white clouds (as mentioned above), paradise fish, rosy barbs, variatus platies, or cories. The cories I would choose in particular would be peppered cories (Corydoras paleatus), since they are most adaptable in my experience.

Here is a list by Cory:

I hope this helps!

I will definitely end up with some corydoras

• Like 1

Tank acquired. I was told it was a 20 gallon but my friend and I think it might be 30? It is just over two feet tall, just over two feet long, and just over a foot deep at the widest point of the bow, which appears to be a perfect half circle. Any math whizzes able to calculate that?

20210811_150959~2.jpg

Edited by Solstice_Lacer
Picture added

On 8/13/2021 at 12:03 PM, JettsPapa said:

I'm not a math whiz, but this software I use every day at work says that a half cylinder, 24" tall and 24" wide, is 23.5 US gallons.

image.png.1f4ef62e30ca85c3715ba211906ebbf4.png

Thanks. I measured it out to 25" x 25" and found a similar volume calculator that said 27 gallons. So I'll treat it as about 25

• Like 1