Driftwood Hunting

TankofFish

On 8/7/2021 at 5:53 PM, Its Hutch said:

That twisted piece is cool. I went driftwood collecting but most of the pieces found I considered too soft to put in a tank. Those look hard tho. Nice work.

Yes it was a good find, and any soft wood gets the wire brush treatment, if I find it's soft all the way through I chunk it.

Has anyone allowed soft wood to help with tannins and lowering pH?

I'm running an experiment in the guppy tank.

So far, the males are coloring up better than in their other tanks, and the fish and snails all love the softer wood.

So do the plants, even the floaters.

It took a little while longer to get stable, but the water parameters are consistent now. 

On 8/8/2021 at 2:07 AM, Torrey said:

Has anyone allowed soft wood to help with tannins and lowering pH?

I'm running an experiment in the guppy tank.

So far, the males are coloring up better than in their other tanks, and the fish and snails all love the softer wood.

So do the plants, even the floaters.

It took a little while longer to get stable, but the water parameters are consistent now. 

@TorreyYes. This probably won’t be much help as it has been recent. Last month I started Indian almond leaves. Two weeks ago I used a large one and a half foot long 4 inch thick with two branches piece of grapevine sandblasted bark intact. I have liquid rock tap water so there was not ape enough the tiniest fluctuation in ph but it’s still early. Indian almond leaves have also had no affect on ph in that tank. Nice water coloration from both. Snails and shrimp love both. I was hoping to grow some yummy white fuzzy biofilm I read about that grows heavy on grapevine.  I got nothing 🙁. The tank also has 2 bristlenose pleco so perhaps my denizens just eat it faster than it can grow. 

it may also be the age of the grapevine I used. I got it 10 years ago for my bearded dragon it was the log he sat in the sun with so sun bleached and very dried out. He passed away 2 weeks ago so I move my tree frog to his 50 gallon to build a terrarium along with this wood.  It got muddy and frog poopy crickets Dubia and various other bugs (I moved breeding colony’s in) it was too large though. 
so like any fishy person I stuck it in my tank. I did have to boil it first but not long just to get the exterior gunk off. I tied it to river rock to sink it. The tannins are a very light tea color using both Ian and wood. I will snap some pics later for you. It’s beautiful but again this isn’t very helpful as it still new in the tank. I am interested with my guppies though. Last month I put almond leaves in all the fry tanks. My plants do seem to do even better but again still new.

E1853BDB-2D34-46F2-9D43-1F5D46BED8A1.jpeg

A21464F9-E0AA-415E-BBDC-3B8F376C7D3B.jpeg

4707A95C-7C87-4F2F-B9FC-8336D93FD287.jpeg

0A82EF8A-3D5E-4D9B-86B3-62A68C526B0A.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
Pictures
  • Love 2

Well, when I get it all set up I will take a pic of the tank. Right now, I got to order a light system for the tank and a heater for the winter time( tank is in the basement)...I thank all for the replies and oh yeah, the twisted piece, I had to cut 4 inches off of it so it would fit...

So you got 2 for the price of one @TankofFish? That twisted wood is truly gorgeous!

@Guppysnail I have one tank with lots of wood since May 1st.

Barely any tannins and pH dropped from 7.8 to 7.6.

1833685614_20210807_2106012.jpg.6df2f2bc2c2ca3f09173c240512d0319.jpg

It didn't finish sinking until last week, I let it go natural, lol. The guppies and snails have completely cleaned up the biofilm..... it had a nice thick layer when I finally added the fish in June.

• Like 1

I have some pieces of bois d'arc I picked up under a tree in the pasture when I was checking cows.  It was bone dry, and so old all the bark was gone from it.  It's a very hard, dense wood, and even being bone dry when I picked it up it only took about 3 days to sink.

• Like 2