Anyone make a moss background (wall)? Or know about using mesh?

Swred5

I have some kind of moss that must have come in on a plant. It has gone insane over the past year and I want to create a background in one of my tanks with it.  I know you can sandwich it between 2 sheets of mesh, but honestly I don't know what kind that would be used?  On Amazon I found stainless steel mesh sheets, but how large should the webs be? I appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks 

I would use plastic mesh or plastic canvas. Rough up the surface with some 120grit and it'll hold algae as well as moss easily. It's easy to trim with standard scissors. It's cheap and easy to work with.

I don't know that most window screens are meant for total submersion. I would be wary but I'm sure those above wouldn't suggest it without having experience with it.  

On 8/7/2021 at 10:53 AM, Ryan F said:

I would use plastic mesh or plastic canvas. Rough up the surface with some 120grit and it'll hold algae as well as moss easily. It's easy to trim with standard scissors. It's cheap and easy to work with.

I don't know that most window screens are meant for total submersion. I would be wary but I'm sure those above wouldn't suggest it without having experience with it.  

Window screen is made out of fiberglass. It's about $7 for a roll at hardware stores. You can also use landscaping fabric and just about anything else moss isn't picky. I've had success with all. I don't believe that there is a chemical processing with window screen and if there is it's never leeched for me.

You guys are freaking geniuses!  I'm gonna probably go for the plastic canvas. Eons ago I used to craft with that stuff and you used to be able to buy in colors. If I can find green it'd be perfect. I looked at the window screen,  but was afraid it was too small of openings for it to grow through.  Thank you so much for all the advice. When I finally do it, I'll be sure to post a pic!

I like the idea of the course sponge from the Co-op. I use it for many "outside of the box" purposes...I don't know why I haven't considered this earlier. I know that currently it's holding some Java Fern "babies" that matured. Technically it would be a challenge to clean the sponge if just left on a prefilter in a heavily stocked tank, but my tank is lightly stocked and the filter is used for flow more than anything...a light siphon would get most debris off without much issue. That said, I'd want a wall, not a round prefilter. Using a pump or filter to keep the moss against the foam would help get the moss started rather easily without the use of super glue. It would get a good foothold into the sponge naturally...or I would think. Worth a try anyway.