Aponogeton Ulvaceus bulb care - Post growth - Pull or Leave in tank?

braids

Aponogeton Bulb Care  

9 members have voted

1. 1. When Aponogeton is done producing leaves how do you care for the bulb?

• Leave it in the aquarium to rest
    • Remove it to rest

My Aponogeton Ulvaceus has almost finished producing leaves and is heading into its resting phase like all bulb plants do.

I'm finding conflicting information on the net (go figure).

Do I:

• Leave the bulb in the tank?
  • Remove the bulb?

If I remove the bulb:

• How do I store it?
  • How long do I let it rest?

Any growing tips would be appreciated - this is such an amazing plant! Next time I want to propagate seeds.

aponogeton_ulvaceus.jpg

I've been reading a lot about both Aponogeton ulvaceus and Aponogeton madagascariensis (Madagascar lace), because I have both. They can just be left in the tank and should come back. Madagascar lace prefers a little cooler water than ulvaceus, 68-76 degrees, and will tend to rest at warmer temps, which explains why mine keeps resting (my tank is 80-81). 

• Thanks 1

On 9/27/2020 at 12:38 AM, Kriskm said:

I've been reading a lot about both Aponogeton ulvaceus and Aponogeton madagascariensis (Madagascar lace), because I have both. They can just be left in the tank and should come back. Madagascar lace prefers a little cooler water than ulvaceus, 68-76 degrees, and will tend to rest at warmer temps, which explains why mine keeps resting (my tank is 80-81). 

I have read that as well about temp, I have two lace plants, one is in a tank that I keep about 72, and another in my leopoldi angel tank that is kept about 79-80. I noticed the one in the warmer tank rests more often than the other.

• Like 1

I have 3 bulbs of the Madigascar in my 40 gallon. That tank is always about 80°. They are growing very very very slowly.  When I do some switching about I'm going to try to find room in one of my cooler basement tanks and see what happens.  The ulvaceus went gangbusters in that tank.

On 9/24/2020 at 1:21 PM, Andy's Fish Den said:

Following along, as I have a Madagascar Lace that all the leaves had died back. I pulled the last one off the other day, but left the bulb in the tank. I'm interested to see what other say and

• 2 months later...
17 hours ago, Kat_Rigel said:

How do you tell the difference between "the bulb is resting" and "I screwed something up and its dying"?

Did it bloom (send up a long round shoot with very small flowers, probably white, that really don't look like flowers)?  If yes, they will typically die back after blooming, but then come back after a while.  Or at least that's what mine does.

29 minutes ago, JettsPapa said:

Did it bloom (send up a long round shoot with very small flowers, probably white, that really don't look like flowers)?  If yes, they will typically die back after blooming, but then come back after a while.  Or at least that's what mine does.

No flower, unfortunately.  I just can't seem to dial in and make this plant super happy, but everyone else in the tank is thriving (including the ulvaceus.) This lace plant has always been very small, I never get the nice big 8in leaves and instead I have leaves about 4in long. I moved it to a new tank a month or two ago, which I'm sure it did not like, and I have seen some die back as expected. But then I thought it would come back, instead it just looks kinds sad! 😅 So I'm hoping it is just going into hibernation.

I suspect patience is in order, along with more root tabs. But if anyone has other ideas, by all means let me know.