Water bug?

aye-aye-travis

Hello, I hope it is okay to ask this in the General. I search my title many times and not found anything like this. 
Can someone ID this for me? I found a few of such creatures in my 10 gallon shrimp tank and not sure if they are harmful or not. I have not noticed any lost of shrimplets yet. 

My water parameters are 0/0.25 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. I have this since late April of this year. I have tons of blabber snail from plants that I bought. Maybe a hitchhiker? Thank you ahead of time

water_bug_jar.jpg

water_bug_net.jpg

Compering the two photos...and I can't see many similarities.

The rear end of the D.F Nymph photo as provided by @Guppysnail is different to the one that was originally attached, also, the rear legs angles are not the same as well the the pattern on the back.   

On 8/8/2021 at 11:30 AM, BenA said:

Compering the two photos...and I can't see many similarities.

The rear end of the D.F Nymph photo as provided by @Guppysnail is different to the one that was originally attached, also, the rear legs angles are not the same as well the the pattern on the back.   

Look up pictures of dragonfly larvae pictures on google. There are many varieties. Also google aquatic bug pictures  aquarium bug pictures and things like. Hopefully that may lead you to finding what your new guest is. Sorry that’s not more helpful. 

Edited by Guppysnail
Google
  • Like 1

It definitely looks like a dragonfly larva to me. @Guppysnail's point about there being hundreds and hundreds of varieties in North America alone is well taken. Dragonfly larva also go through different shapes at different stages of growth, which just creates even more variety.

image.png.884c7c235c0a23324872c3577bb73f5b.png

The one I videoed above is in the family Aeshnidae. 

• Like 2