How to quarantine flame moss without a chemical dip?

I got some flame moss today and put them in a little bowl with old tank water. Can I just do 100% water changes every 3 days over the course of 2 weeks or is an H2O2 dip required? I was afraid that a chemical dip would cause it to melt. 

Also, upon removal from it’s lil baggy, I accidentally tore the moss in half. Will it live? 

I always find a h202 dip for extreme cases like plants from a contaminated tank with velvet or camallanus worms, but never for moss. Torn moss will not die unless you put it through a shredder over and over again. If your moss is from those baggies that are clipped onto a shelf at like those big chain stores, I just skip the quarantine. They practically grow them above water without fish anyways. But if you want to quarantine anyways, stick the moss in some water from the tank (not siphoned from gravel, just scoop some off the surface), and then wait around a month while changing the water and rinsing the moss once a week with new water (from fish tank). Parasites can't live longer than 5 weeks without a host. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2021 at 6:14 PM, Thomas said:

I got some flame moss today and put them in a little bowl with old tank water. Can I just do 100% water changes every 3 days over the course of 2 weeks or is an H2O2 dip required? I was afraid that a chemical dip would cause it to melt. 

Also, upon removal from it’s lil baggy, I accidentally tore the moss in half. Will it live? 

You can actually cut mosses into short pieces (about 1/2” seems to be the recommended size) then tie it onto wood pieces (or wherever you want to attach it) using plenty of thread so it overlaps a lot.  The moss will grow from both ends of each cut piece so it grows back nice and dense looking.  I watched an award winning aquascaper speak for an aquarium club (it was on Green Aqua’s YouTube I think) discuss how to do it.  It worked for me, too, so if I can do it, you can!

Yeah moss is virtually indestructible. There's even a very valid strategy nicknamed 'sushi moss' where you put moss on a cutting board and chop it down really finely like you would some herbs. Then you glue this on to wood/rock and it'll grow out faster as there are now many, many tiny plants.

• Like 1