What's the meanest freshwater hobby fish?

Gestaltgal

On 8/6/2021 at 1:00 PM, Daniel said:

Historically, the aptly named 'Jack Dempsey' has taken this honor.

How about the Green Terror Cichlid?  I saw one that was turned into the LFS because it was inherently evil and attacked anything that came near the tank. 

On 8/6/2021 at 12:34 PM, Gestaltgal said:

So say I was considering a stand alone tank (size/parameters are not an issue) designed to keep the meanest fish :classic_angry:. I'm not talking the 1-off jerk fish we all seem to get every now and again, I'm thinking the meanest species kept in the hobby 😠.

What would I be looking for?

Chinese algae eater

• Like 2

On 8/9/2021 at 11:38 PM, Trish said:

How about the Green Terror Cichlid?  I saw one that was turned into the LFS because it was inherently evil and attacked anything that came near the tank. 

My green terror is pretty nice for the most part, every once in a while she will get after the fire mouth but the golden dojo's and cory's she does not mess with. 

• Like 1

The meanest fish I've had was a swordtail.  He bullied everything, dominated the food and claimed the whole tank as his territory.  He was a beautiful marbled koi color, but I ended up giving him back to the lfs. I wanted a community aquarium without a thug stressing me and the other fish out. 

• Like 2

When in doubt, the name says a lot. I’ve had Red Devils leave me bleeding for several minutes after I stuck my hand in the opposite side of the tank for a second. I’ve had flowerhorns bite my hand while it was still out of the water during feeding time. I’ve also heard of someone’s breeding convicts wrecking their adult flowerhorn to shreds, same with breeding red jewels. Working at a fish store, I’ve heard a lot over the past several months, and the stories only get wilder and wilder. Someone had zebra danios rip their betta to shreds. I’d say red terrors are pretty high up there too. 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 1:24 AM, Steph’s Fish and Plants said:

I’ve also heard of someone’s breeding convicts wrecking their adult flowerhorn to shreds, same with breeding red jewels. Working at a fish store, I’ve heard a lot over the past several months, and the stories only get wilder and wilder. Someone had zebra danios rip their betta to shreds. I’d say red terrors are pretty high up there too. 

I'm definitely seeing a trend with the breeding pairs! Folks I've talked to bring that up often.

@Gestaltgal i only know my experience with them for certain. wild caugh orinoco are much more mean than my wild caught regani were.  Both control the tank of any size once they pair up. Regani, which look similar but are bigger  are very peaceful for me with other species allowing pleco, khuli loaches, and variatus platys to live with them in relative peace. 

• Like 1

Pea puffers!  Stupidly mean for their size!  Not impressive as a show stopper fish, but mean as all get out!  Will kill snails 10 times their weight.

When I tried to introduce my Bad Pea Daddy into the shoal, he postured all over the place, he was sparring with the other male, then he finally grabbed him and shook him like a rag doll!

Since he has killed 4 other puffers (trying to get him a harem), he now has his own tank.  I’ve never had to give a 1.5” fish his own tank!

• Haha 3

On 8/12/2021 at 6:01 PM, Odd Duck said:

Pea puffers!  Stupidly mean for their size!  Not impressive as a show stopper fish, but mean as all get out!  Will kill snails 10 times their weight.

When I tried to introduce my Bad Pea Daddy into the shoal, he postured all over the place, he was sparring with the other male, then he finally grabbed him and shook him like a rag doll!

Since he has killed 4 other puffers (trying to get him a harem), he now has his own tank.  I’ve never had to give a 1.5” fish his own tank!

sounds like quite the jerk

parachromis dovii are pretty notorious for their aggression, and people usually advise against any tank mates. People also advise 300 + gallons for just one dovii. . . Think they get like 2 feet long.

wolf fish are also known to be very aggressive. There are some varieties that remain fairly small so won’t require a massive tank.

If you are looking for very aggressive feeders. . . Large mouth bass. . . 

Edited by MoshJosh
  • Like 2

On 8/13/2021 at 5:16 AM, MoshJosh said:

parachromis dovii are pretty notorious for their aggression, and people usually advise against any tank mates. People also advise 300 + gallons for just one dovii. . . Think they get like 2 feet long.

wolf fish are also known to be very aggressive. There are some varieties that remain fairly small so won’t require a massive tank.

If you are looking for very aggressive feeders. . . Large mouth bass. . . 

they do like to eat, but small mouth bass put the large mouth to shame when its feeding time.

• Like 1

I know some species are inherently more aggressive than others, but I wonder to what extent stress makes a difference in aggression within a single species. It could even be something basic, that would stress out we humans too - like always feeling cold, or not having a decent bed (hiding place), or just being bored out of our mind.

Just something I think of often because I have a bizarrely aggressive angelfish. 

Edited by CalmedByFish
  • Like 2

On 8/9/2021 at 8:40 PM, Jimmy said:

Chinese algae eater

Mine was a sweetheart. Never did the scale eating behavior or anything. Although my bristlenose kept him in check, those two would fight over algae wafers nearly constantly. They had caves on opposite ends of the tank and man the antics were very entertaining. Especially when Bob the goldfish would end the squabble by eating the wafer whole.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 9:52 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

Mine was a sweetheart. Never did the scale eating behavior or anything. Although my bristlenose kept him in check, those two would fight over algae wafers nearly constantly. They had caves on opposite ends of the tank and man the antics were very entertaining. Especially when Bob the goldfish would end the squabble by eating the wafer whole.

LOL bob the gold fish