3 gallon stocking

Taco Playz

I have a spare 3 gallon as well. It's not very deep, but it has some good hight to it. I wanted to try to fit a peace lilly on top with the roots hanging in water. I was thinking about using garden soil as nutrient layer (also got that idea from MD). 

I was just about to make a post asking for stocking ideas. I didn't want to go with a betta because the tank won't have a filter of a heater. I was thinking some shrimp or nano fish that can tolerate cooler temperatures. I haven't done much research so any advice would be appreciated 

• Like 3

On 8/6/2021 at 12:15 PM, Guppysnail said:

Least killifish Is super forgiving easy care fun to watch. Relatively inexpensive  fairly easy to obtain.

I’ve been wanting to check these out but I’m not having good luck finding them in my area. They’re livebearers right? 

On 8/6/2021 at 2:14 PM, Nik_n said:

I have a spare 3 gallon as well. It's not very deep, but it has some good hight to it. I wanted to try to fit a peace lilly on top with the roots hanging in water. I was thinking about using garden soil as nutrient layer (also got that idea from MD). 

I was just about to make a post asking for stocking ideas. I didn't want to go with a betta because the tank won't have a filter of a heater. I was thinking some shrimp or nano fish that can tolerate cooler temperatures. I haven't done much research so any advice would be appreciated 

When my three gallon was unheated I just kept snails. I really like this type of setup for a tiny tank. It was so easy to keep up the water quality, no worries about over feeding etc. I’ve added a few fish and a heater and now it’s a little more stressful since water parameters change so quickly in a small tank. 

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 4:14 PM, Nik_n said:

Not to sound like a broken record, but Celestial Pearl Danios don't require a heater. 

• Love 1

I have 6 cpd in qt to add genetic diversity to my colony. Thought I would share a pic to give you an idea of juvenile size in a 2.5 g qt. I adore them. I started with a breeding trio.  They were totally harmonious.  I would not go more than that even though they are small they make short work of the 20long they are in now I have heard stories of the bickering getting intense with male competition in small tanks. I’ve never had more than 3 in a small space for long so I cannot verify. They swim fast and non stop. Are all but no maintenance actively hunt for detritus worm copepod and other micro critters as if they were starving …they never are though.  (On the right is coop nano for size)

70C7FA06-D2D4-47D7-8269-A5F8EB996A76.jpeg

138804D6-58C2-4BAD-805C-BAADB886301A.jpeg

A620852F-0463-44B6-8F6D-CA41305F49F9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Could your fit CPD or white clouds in a 3 gallon? If so how many,  I heard they need to be kept in groups of 6. I was also thinking about clown killifish but was advised against it, as they may need a bigger tank and even a heater? I don't know much about nano setups just wanting to try something new. 

I'm not much into snails, I have a billion of ponds snails in may planted community and am trying to get rid of them.