Aquarist Podcast

JoshStover

Great fun on road trips. I was listening to one with forum member Daniel as the guest earlier today. He was talking about his childhood fishkeeping in the 1970's, and it took me back. I loved that Daniel had to remind Randy that even wayyy back in the 70's people had access to good information, in these old fashioned things called "books"! It's like when my kid asked me if I was alive during the Civil War, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1

Can’t wait to give it a listen @Randy  are you planning to bring back much from this trip? I absolutely loved the knife fish that Dean posted on Instagram! I would’ve been bringing it back for sure!!

ps

i hope you do at least a dozen more episodes with Rosario and Joe. I could listen to their stories all day long

Ha!  I was just thinking I was the last one to discover these podcasts.  I just started listening in the last couple weeks as I found a couple on YouTube.  Just this week I found out they are all on the Aquarium COOP app.  That has been awesome because I was having trouble finding all the episodes on YouTube.  I love the history talks with Joe too.  I just started re-listening to the episode w/Joe in his basement....fascinating that people started putting exotic plants into glass boxes and that's how the term "aquarium" started.

I have to say I'm really impressed with Randy's interview skills.  He does a ton of research on the guests, which clearly the guests appreciate and you can tell he really thinks about thoughtful questions to ask.  These early episodes he's talking about his supply chain job, so I keep wondering where he picked up his interviewing skills.

Anyway, I am thoroughly enjoying them.  Nice job and thank you for putting these out there, Randy!  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I've been listening to @Randypodcasts for a long time, have enjoyed and learned a lot from them, and especially the ones with Rosario and Joe. I have enjoyed how these last couple, how Randy just kind of sits back and lets the two of them talk, its almost like you're the fly on the wall at one of their homes. Also, just downloaded the newest one with Dean, and going to listen while I mow at work today. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 8/16/2021 at 1:19 AM, Gideyon said:

There's an app?   How did I go this long without even hearing about that until now? 

I know, right?  It has some of Corys livestreams on there too.  Its nice because when I watch YouTube I have to keep the video running but on a podcast I can lock my phone and let it run in the background or easily switch to other tabs on my phone.  Maybe one day they'll add this forum to the app too?  

• Like 1

I started with the one with @Daniel.  For some reason when I read his posts, I heard his voice in my head with an Australian accent.  Now my world is blown to find out he's a southerner from Georgia.  

Great story telling.  My childhood was in the 80s. I remember fish, hamsters, ferrets, and snakes being sold at department stores like walmart.  Whenever we went shopping as a family, my brother and I would just go hang out in the pet section.   I go to Walmart now, not a single live animal.   And I wouldn't let my kids out of my sight. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 8/16/2021 at 1:59 PM, Gideyon said:

I started with the one with @Daniel.  For some reason when I read his posts, I heard his voice in my head with an Australian accent.  Now my world is blown to find out he's a southerner from Georgia.  

Great story telling.  My childhood was in the 80s. I remember fish, hamsters, ferrets, and snakes being sold at department stores like walmart.  Whenever we went shopping as a family, my brother and I would just go hang out in the pet section.   I go to Walmart now, not a single live animal.   And I wouldn't let my kids out of my sight. 

G'day mate!

I wish I had an Australian accent, I would sound way more cool.

I remember one fall Saturday morning in 1976 at the department store pet store doing inventory on all the animals. Beside literally counting every fish we also counted the snakes and other animals. The 5 foot long boa constrictor was strong enough to push the top off of his terrarium (even though the terrarium screen had bricks on it) and he had been missing for more than a week.

Suddenly there was the blood curdling scream from the nearby toy department. I rushed over to see Laurie from toys pointing a row of 'Stretch Armstrong' figures. Sure enough, there was the missing boa constrictor behind the Stretch Armstrong figures.

image.png.b621c8e7dc5ce63c2b3f0c7d5610f5a4.png

Being just beginning of video game era, Stretching Stretch and having him return to normal was considered fun. Supposedly during the late 1970s, Kenner Toys was the largest single consumer of corn syrup (Stetches secret ingredient) in the US.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

Ooh there’s one with Daniel?! Awesome! I definitely need to go find that. I’m addicted to the Aquarist Podcast, it’s so good. @Randy, I swear, I could listen to you talking with Joe and Rosario all day. As amazing as all the other episodes are, the ones with Joe and Rosario are by far my favourite. Looking forward to the next episodes with them. Keep it up man, you’re doing an incredible job. And I can’t wait to hear about your trip on the podcast too!

• Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 6:09 PM, Crabby said:

Ooh there’s one with Daniel?! Awesome! I definitely need to go find that. I’m addicted to the Aquarist Podcast, it’s so good. @Randy, I swear, I could listen to you talking with Joe and Rosario all day. As amazing as all the other episodes are, the ones with Joe and Rosario are by far my favourite. Looking forward to the next episodes with them. Keep it up man, you’re doing an incredible job. And I can’t wait to hear about your trip on the podcast too!

Heres a link to the @Daniel interview: 

Defentely my favorite episode! Also just finished listening to the new peru one with dean, makes me wanna go to peru! 

Heres a link to the daniel epsiodes through spotify, and apple podcasts:

Spotify: 

Apple:

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/ep-93-daniel-harnden-on-bees-fishkeeping-in-the-70s/id1347789490?i=1000502360943 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I am glad people are discovering the podcast!

@mommygouramiregarding how I learned to interview?  I don’t know.  I did have a sales job for ~7 years.  That did require me to listen to my customers to understand their needs.  So maybe that? 😆 

Also, here is a bonus “live” photo with the Corndog and I on our way back home from Peru.

FE50202E-9B3F-4B23-86A3-DF5B138F797E.jpeg.5bd0f67b5dc11d9e892b3123059b9de2.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

• 10 months later...

Hi everyone,

I am new to the hobby and just recently discovered the podcast. It is amazing! It is really fun and I learn a lot. I work in a fish facility in Belgium and listen to the show while working. I Just finished episode 106 and noticed that there is no mention of it being the last episode. Are there new episodes that i can not download or did the show stop?

Any news on how the okefenokee competition between Randy and Bob Steenfott is going? 🙂

thanks in advance!