I need an algae eater....

Tom H

I need an algae eater in my 75 gallon. This tank already has:

Tiger Barbs 

Dojo Loach 

Yoyo Loach 

Rock Catfish (yes rock not stone)

It's pretty heavily planted and I think the bioload is very easily managed by plants and bacteria. The tricky thing is getting something that can handle the tiger barbs and activity level of the loach. I mostly have algae on my tank walls and just a little on a plant or two.

20210725_210632.jpg

On 8/5/2021 at 11:03 PM, anewbie said:

20 oto? Btw yoyo really should be in a group of 5+ the more the merrier; of course yoyo can get fairly large so you have to be a bit careful how many you put in a 75; but they really do require a group esp as they get older.

Yes I am well aware (but do appreciate you making sure) 😊 I have them in a group of 6. I've thought about ottos but am not sure how they'll treat my catfish if they don't get enough algae... Catfish is nocturnal so I don't want it getting sucked on by hungry ottos during the day. I've also heard mixed thoughts on ottos and tiger barbs together.

I agree Tom, I don't think Otos are a good match for your tank...most of those fish I would classify on the "aggressive" or at least seriously active side.

I've never kept one but what about a Siamese Algae Eater? They get 6" and seem like they can hold their own. Others who have them would have to speak to that though I suppose. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 11:38 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I agree Tom, I don't think Otos are a good match for your tank...most of those fish I would classify on the "aggressive" or at least seriously active side.

I've never kept one but what about a Siamese Algae Eater? They get 6" and seem like they can hold their own. Others who have them would have to speak to that though I suppose. 

That's what I'm kind of leaning towards but I've also heard that the tiger barbs can still be jerks to the SAE. Hopefully I'll get someone with experience. It's only been one or two posts I've seen about SAE and tiger barbs. I didn't know if the SAE would like the activity level of the loach.

LoL and yes I wouldn't call the yoyo and barbs aggressive but they're kind of the obnoxious little brothers of the fish world 🤣 they poke and prod and annoy but don't usually just go on a murder spree. 

Thanks for the SAE suggestion! I'm leaning even more towards them now!

I thought about SAE but they can be mixed; they are large (not just long); and love protein so they will eat a lot of meat in addition to the some algae. They are a fun fish; esp if you keep them in a group but then you need a much larger tank. They can be kept solo but still not sure it will really do a good job with the algae; mine ate some algae but i would hardly consider it an algae cleaner. Of course nerite snails are great but the yoyo will make short work of them. BN pleco are another option; can't say they are much better or worse than the SAE. I have a pile of lemon blue-eye but like the sae they are going to munch on a lot of protein and make a lot of poop. 

One more comment on SAE they are very very fast swimmers; and are easily disturbed. I had one in my 120 and felt that the tank didn't really give him enough room; i plan to put 4 or 5 in a 450 which is 10 feet long and 3 feet wide.

Edited by anewbie

A school of otos plus a Siamese algae eater is a good combination. I have these in a 125 and they do a great job. The SAE is really good at gobbling up things like hair algae. One SAE is plenty in my experience.

My tank is almost all barbs but none of them are tiger barbs. But they are a rowdy bunch still and my SAE is fine. It’s a few years old at this point.

Make sure you have food for the otos and SAE to supplement them once they clean thing up. I feed mine Repashy soilent green a few times a week in addition to whatever food they scavenge during normal tank feeding.  

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 2

I agree with the Ottocinclus recommendation. They don't grow large like plecos and are peaceful unlike Chinese Algae Eaters. They are hard to find in CA, technically they can't be imported here, but sometimes LFS will have some. I don't know how cause as far as I know no one's been able to breed them in captivity.

SAE will work for hair algae, but I've never seen mine munching on the spot algae on the glass or plants. I think a pleco will work better, if find a Bristlenose or slightly larger algae eating pleco species that you like if you want something to eat algae off the glass. 

• Thanks 1