Recently, my Notropis Chrosomus have been “fired up” in spawning mode. I added a trio of Xenotoca doadrioi to their tank for fun, and shot this short — shows a few of the shiners still turned on…

And this evening, I thought I’d check out the rock pile Pyrex container to see if there were any eggs. I still can’t believe what I found (sorry for my giddy excitement)…

I laid the lid back over, and set a couple pieces of cupboard liner on top to further diffuse the light. These fry are not big fans of bright light.

0179A3CB-4478-435C-8D9E-90E0FBAD8FFF.jpeg.64e3f6ad9cb6d9e628da5a26fd50a549.jpeg

I’ll serve up some vinegar eels and Sera Micron until they can try out BBS. Kind of excited! Not sure I’ll sleep tonight… 😂

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)

I’ve decided to make this into a journal. It’s been too long waiting for this… I’m so thrilled!

So, after finding the fry & eggs last night, and moving them to my “Java box,” I knew that I must begin feeding. Vinegar Eels are my first choice for fry this small.

My culture needs to be split — since this tank is at my workplace. So, I bought Vinegar “with the Mother” at the grocery…

D5143ABE-FFCF-4FC7-8699-E53C9ACE0B14.jpeg.4c6a3bf1e67bda2676b8fd50ca2a60d8.jpeg

I take about 20-30 ml from my vinegar eel culture, and add to a new vinegar solution made from this.

3C5F5BA7-E5B0-4A91-B236-11F8213338AF.jpeg.f96523e2e54d38c95ad142f4814ff75e.jpeg

Now, today, I’ve brought the culture to my office…

Here’s a look at the Rainbow Shiner Fry rising to near surface in the Java Box…

Here’s prep for Vinegar Eel feeding — using Sodium bicarbonate to lower acidity of vinegar eel culture…

Here’s the food mixture, ready to serve…

And here’s the first feeding!

Edited by Fish Folk

On 8/10/2021 at 7:20 AM, Fish Folk said:

How soon do you feed BBS? What other early foods do you use?

When they are freeswimming they will start taking food, I use powder food for the first week, and bbs till they can take .1mm pellets.

I wouldn't worry too much about water change right now, the amount of waste they produce is very small, unless you are over feeding. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/10/2021 at 9:05 PM, Fish Folk said:

Did a water test, comparing fry box water — pH / Ammonia / Nitrate — vs. tank.

30191453-EAAC-469F-8723-92DD8C513626.jpeg.28505002fb92cb0c9f15bd678ce2a278.jpeg

Higher pH in box plus some ammonia. Got to make plans for moving fry to better space before long…

All my fries get to start out in a 10 gallon half filled. With a jetlifter it drop water down instead of blowing bubbles at the surface 

• Thanks 1

I’m posting this all-in-one / top-to-bottom explanation about breeding Rainbow Shiners here. I came in to work, and they were all fired up — after a water change yesterday, and a new glass rock pan I added. It’s about 7 mins long, but should answer some important questions. I wish I’d seen this online when I first started keeping these.

• Like 3
  • Love 2