Ambient lighting plants

FrozenFins

My LFS has a 5 gallon bowl that they are selling for $20. It has the perfect dimensions and everything! I am so close on buying it. My plan would be to put it on my desk next to my window, and have it be another dirted walstad aquarium with neocardinal orange pumpkin shrimp. For plants heres what I was thinking...

Knowing that the anubias, hornwort, and frogbit should all do fine with ambient lighting from the window I am wondering if Bacopa, tuger lotus and Bolbitus would do fine in a low light setting. If it matters I'm looking at bacopa carolina.

This bowl also has a internal air filter. From my inspection I thought it looked like I could remove the filter compeltley, using instead the plants to filter the tank. It being a walstad tank that is only a few gallons, I think it'll be fine with no waterflow/ filtration. 

Edited by James Black
  • Like 1

The Bolbitis should be fine, the Bacopa and Tiger Lotus could be iffy as they are both medium to bright plants, You probably won't see any red on the Bacopa, or Tiger Lotus, and they might take a good long while for growth, so if you want to do without the filter the Hornwort and Amazon Frogbit might be your saving grace at that point but they will lower light levels even more for what lies below.

• Like 1