I might have a solution for getting a good start for plants that I will want to move later or rooted plants in my bare bottom breeder tanks and It occurred to me that this might be a solution for fish who like to dig up plants as well.  This is just one of those free pantyhose socks from the ladies shoe store filled with aqua soil and water sprite.  Dose anyone else have a plant solution like this?  Has anyone tried something like this only to have it fail and if so how?

Plant Idea.jpg

• Like 1

I don’t actually plant any plant ever. Just plant weights or fishing line tied to a rock or log etc or suction cups. Mine actually do better that way but I really love your idea. I have some I’m going to try this with instead of the ugly metal plant weight just sitting on the gravel.
plants I have done this with and we’re successful 

cardinals and ludwiga (the closer to the light the darker purple they get for me)

wisteria, hornwort, anacharis elodea, Java fern, Anubis, Brazilian pennywort, bacopa’s of different types, money wort, fanwort, mint Charlie, swords a bunch of types, Chinese ferns

sprite hates me no matter what I do though 🤷‍♀️ Maybe your method will make it hate me a bit less 🤣

• Like 1

I haven't tried it with leggings before. That seems like such a good idea because they way I did it, water flow in the substrate was an issue. I used old glass yogurt containers with black gravel and or black sand. I wanted to try both, the sand was from the co-op and I don't remember the brand but when you walk in you'll see it on the bottom of the shelves. Both methods failed, even in an outdoor setting. I think the lack of water flow for the roots was the cause. Your idea looks like it can counter that. But a different solution I have is to just throw it in the water and let it float.