Vodka dosing tips

Samanthabea

He had a rough day so he needed a drink on a real note has anyone vodka dosed for nitrates the only issue I still have is sky high nitrates(long story about rookie mistakes corrections are being made or have been made) and with this injury that is not good as it's caused siano bacteria in the tank

16280493521674559977292616455505.jpg

16280493681326607646397876457220.jpg

Have you taken any other measures before going down this route? If the patch of cyanobacteria is small enough, you can physically remove it. If I was in a situation of a whole tank being covered, I would just sterilize everything and start from the beginning. If possible, please attach more photos and tank details. 

If you're going to do this no matter what, 24 drops of 80 proof (40 percent alcohol) per 100 gallons. Every day for 3 days, then stop for a week and test levels. I don't know if this is for fresh water though, I've only heard about it for reef tanks. 

Edited by Keeg

I've cut back feedings added chateo not as much as I'd like by far the rest of the the macro algea didn't work because of lighting the rest is on the way do weekly water changes change out the filters regularly or more often and added layers to them (canister and hang of the back) have a protein skimmer running initially it started with a bio overload of snails but the nitrates just keep climbing I even stopped feeding certain foods that I knew caused more problems like clam and mussle all the other levels have gone back to normal

My nitrates read between 80-160(the top number used to be just slightly high but it keeps climbing the other levels read 0 phosphate either 0 or .25) I was going to dose chemi-clean for the bacteria to take care of it and see if my other measures would take care of the nitrates but now with the injury it needs put off can you think of something I have missed to do for the nitrates besides getting the plants here asap I really don't want to give my trigger up but I fear that's what it will take to keep him healthy 

I have never even heard of vodka for this however many many years ago we used vodka for fish euthanasia so I would try every method before using it in this fashion. And extreme caution on dosing amounts. I am not any type of expert I just wanted to share this with you. 

Freshwater tank keeper here that's battled my share of blue green Cyano.  I've had super good luck eradicating freshwater Cyano with a saltwater product called Chemiclean.  

My LFS expert was adamant that you *must* follow the dosage directions exactly (you can overdose with it) and that you must provide additional aeration while treating.  My experience has been that the treatment is slow acting- usually not much noticeable change after treatment days 1 or 2.  Avoid the urge to second dose immediately.  It may take as long as 5 days before all the Cyano is gone and it will frequently cause Cyano to completely disappear from some surfaces while leaving other nearby surfaces looking untouched while it "does it's work".  I have yet to have a reoccurrence in a tank after treating with this product.  Hope this helps.

Edited by NanoNano

Tap is through rodi system great for the freshwater tank not so much for the saltwater thanks for the tip on the chemiclean I want to do it now but am just waiting until the fresh wound heals(I will in a few days though) I don't like the thought of vodka dosing especially with that post but I'm at a loss of what to do until I get the rest of the plants and wait for them to work like I said only nitrates keep climbing