Good resources for someone starting a saltwater tank?

DannyBWell

Bulk Reef Supply is good, but they often focus on reef tanks which can be a bit more insane (and expensive) than a fish only tank. If you're going fish only, or fish only with live rock, it's not much different than a freshwater tank. A different substrate (typically crushed coral, coral sand, etc.) and marine salt, but the rest is pretty much the same as freshwater. I like Aquarium Domain on YouTube and he does both fresh and saltwater fish, but he's not so much a how-to kind of program other than building big tanks like his Predator Bay tank that he just finished building. A lot will depend on what you're thinking of keeping. A video search of that category (fish only, fish with live rock, reef, etc.) will likely pull up lots of interesting stuff for you. Mark's Aquatics on YouTube does a bit more how-to stuff (both freshwater and marine) on some of his older videos. If you're doing fish only or fish with live rock, you can pretty much just use "normal" freshwater gear. If you go with live corals in a reef setting then you've got to be pickier about water parameters, feeding, and lighting.

Reef to reef is definitely the most active forum I’ve come across, snd the format makes it super easy to find in depth information on various topics. That’s where I did a lot of my research for my first reef tank.

it’s important to decide now whether you want it to be a Fish Only With Live Rock or FOWLR tank, or if you want live corals as well. A FOWLR tank is essentially just like a freshwater tank but you have to mix saltwater before water changes. However, a Reef tank is more hands on physically, financially, and knowledge wise. 

Corals and amazing animals that can add a lot to your tank, but they’re the most sensitive animals you’ll ever keep, and the equipment required can be quite more involved.

If you want a reef tank with corals, I’d suggest watching Bulk Reef Supply’s 5 minute guide series on YouTube, and also watching at least parts of the 52 weeks of reefing series. I’d also recommend watching Saltwateraquariumdotcom on YouTube as well, he has some great beginner guides that go in depth on reef and FOWLR tanks for the beginner.

• Thanks 1

I think this is a good place to start. The 5 Minute series on Bulk Reef Supplies you tube channel. There are a bunch of 5 minute episodes with good beginner advice. It's pretty easy to get through them in a night or two. 

It's a condensed snapshot that will help you figure out if you want to research more. I am debating trying out a reef tank next year. 

Definitely consider cost though many people just gradually get everything then start it up even after though depending on tank size the price racks up for salt and filtration (salt is about 50 every few months and filtration is about 20-30 depending on the month) I think I've spent at least 250 in just rock and sand and I still don't have enough rock not to discourage it but just to make sure you know what your getting into I still am upgrading my tank and and wish that I knew more when I started and had the end setup first

Edited by Samanthabea