A real Newbie

Pattie

Hi @Pattie

Honestly don't be worried about plants they are easy, some might thrive some might die they are only plants and will help keep the water clean etc just look up some easy ones to keep and stick 'em in and learn as you go. 

Also from what I understand Bettas often like hanging out at the top of the tank as they can breath air, also they like plants or something to rest on up there (you can get fake ones that suction cup to the glass for them to rest on) and they don't like too strong of a flow (I guess they are kind of lazy swimmers? Haha). Not sure how they are with lights, maybe it's a bit bright without cover? Again plants would help.

Liquid test kit might reveal what's going on with the water but I can't think of anything else that might help, fingers crossed for you! What water conditioner are you using?

Keep us posted! 

On 8/3/2021 at 6:36 PM, KentFishFanUK said:

Hi @Pattie

Honestly don't be worried about plants they are easy, some might thrive some might die they are only plants and will help keep the water clean etc just look up some easy ones to keep and stick 'em in and learn as you go. 

Also from what I understand Bettas often like hanging out at the top of the tank as they can breath air, also they like plants or something to rest on up there (you can get fake ones that suction cup to the glass for them to rest on) and they don't like too strong of a flow (I guess they are kind of lazy swimmers? Haha). Not sure how they are with lights, maybe it's a bit bright without cover? Again plants would help.

Liquid test kit might reveal what's going on with the water but I can't think of anything else that might help, fingers crossed for you! What water conditioner are you using?

Keep us posted! 

I use Prime water conditioner.

On 8/3/2021 at 6:25 PM, quikv6 said:

Sounds like you may have lost your cycle, and are in the process of cycling again.

1) Please post water parameters for folks to help in a targeted fashion....we all want to help Buddy!

2) I'll go out on a limb and say it would be helpful to get some Seachem Prime, to detoxify any ammonia or nitrate that may arise from a cycling. (I believe it detoxifies for 24-48 hours)

Also...I am assuming you are declorinating your water.

Correct … I am using Prime with every water change.

Water parameters:

nitrate - 0  nitrite - 0  hardness-300  chlorine-0  alkalinity-40 ph-6.8

I am using strips for now. I will get the API Master Test Kit next month.

atrip do not show ammonia parameters …   It’s a head scratcher, for sure …

On 8/3/2021 at 6:36 PM, KentFishFanUK said:

Hi @Pattie

Keep us posted! 

Yes, Bettas are a bit on the lazy side … they like it a little dark, so I use natural, as much as possible.  I put in a Catappa leave to get tannins in the water.  Which turns the water brownish, so I stopped using them.  Maybe I will go back to the leaf and see if that perks him up.  They have antibacterial and anti-fungal properties.  

Even though bettas are top feeders, they do explore.  When I go to feed, he would come to a corner that I would feed him.   Now, he hangs at the heater and I drop food there for him.

Frustrating …

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 7:37 PM, Streetwise said:

Does your local water come from a well, or is it treated with chlorine, or chloramine?

City water … I use Prime water conditioner to eliminate the chlorine and chloramine ….at each water change. 

On 8/3/2021 at 8:39 PM, HH Morant said:

When you do water changes, do not clean your you're sponge filter.  The beneficial bacteria in the sponge filter Is not well established, And you do not want to wash it away.

Good to know … I will clean when the sponge is gunkie and only in aquarium water … right?

I put a Catappa leaf in the tank tonight.  Hopefully, it will make Buddy feel better.  The leaves are good for bettas, antibacterial and anti-fungal properties.

Will it take about a month or so for the water to clear?  The Catappa leaves will turn the water a brownish color but, the water should be clear … right?

On 8/3/2021 at 10:55 PM, Pattie said:

Good to know … I will clean when the sponge is gunkie and only in aquarium water right? 

Yes, and even when you feel you have to clean it, don't clean it too thoroughly. The urge is to get it clean, but bacteria does not like a clean environment. Kind of the opposite.

• Like 1

Pattie;

What is the water temp? Betta's are originally from SE Asia so they prefer water temps of about 85 degrees. This water temp will not harm any of the fish you mentioned or your plants, and you'll save a bundle on fish meds.

You have an HOB filter and that's good. Take out the activated carbon and add a small medium bag with peat pellets in it, but not too much, about one quarter full. Betta's and the other fish you mentioned are all Blackwater fish, meaning they prefer water that is soft and slightly acidic. Your water will have a slight yellowish tint to it and that's OK, your fish are used to that also.

Do you have timers for your lights? What is your lighting schedule?  Our fish have a circadian rhythm like we do, a time to be awake  to feed, breed, or whatever fish do, and a time to rest and rejuvenate the brain. I have all of my tanks on timers set to turn the lights on at 8AM, off at 11:30AM, on again at 4:30PM, and off for the night at 8PM. This lighting schedule is OK for your fish and your plants, and it helps keep algae to a minimum.

When I bought my timers, I had a choice at Wally World between really cheap, mid-price, and expensive digital timers, I chose the mid-price and have only had to replace one in 15 years.

The cloudiness in your tank looks like the result of not cleaning your gravel before adding it to your tank. Remove the gravel and place it in a bucket, but leave the sponge filter on, leave the fish and plants in the tank. Run clean water into the bucket while stirring the gravel, pour the water out and repeat. Keep repeating until the water you pour out is clear, and do this with any gravel you may buy in the future.

Replace the gravel, replant your plants, and I believe your aquarium water will be clear in a couple of days.

If I'm long winded, I'm sorry. I'm just trying to make you and Buddy happy.

Sincerely

Gator

• Like 2

On 8/3/2021 at 9:39 PM, Gator said:

Pattie;

What is the water temp? Betta's are originally from SE Asia so they prefer water temps of about 85 degrees. This water temp will not harm any of the fish you mentioned or your plants, and you'll save a bundle on fish meds.

You have an HOB filter and that's good. Take out the activated carbon and add a small medium bag with peat pellets in it, but not too much, about one quarter full. Betta's and the other fish you mentioned are all Blackwater fish, meaning they prefer water that is soft and slightly acidic. Your water will have a slight yellowish tint to it and that's OK, your fish are used to that also.

Do you have timers for your lights? What is your lighting schedule?  Our fish have a circadian rhythm like we do, a time to be awake  to feed, breed, or whatever fish do, and a time to rest and rejuvenate the brain. I have all of my tanks on timers set to turn the lights on at 8AM, off at 11:30AM, on again at 4:30PM, and off for the night at 8PM. This lighting schedule is OK for your fish and your plants, and it helps keep algae to a minimum.

When I bought my timers, I had a choice at Wally World between really cheap, mid-price, and expensive digital timers, I chose the mid-price and have only had to replace one in 15 years.

The cloudiness in your tank looks like the result of not cleaning your gravel before adding it to your tank. Remove the gravel and place it in a bucket, but leave the sponge filter on, leave the fish and plants in the tank. Run clean water into the bucket while stirring the gravel, pour the water out and repeat. Keep repeating until the water you pour out is clear, and do this with any gravel you may buy in the future.

Replace the gravel, replant your plants, and I believe your aquarium water will be clear in a couple of days.

Sincerely

Gator

Wow … thank you so much ☺️  I have a lot to learn and do …  I feel my tank and Buddy will survive, because I joined a great group.

Everyone has been so helpful and I am really grateful.   This forum is the best…

THANK YOU EVERYONE 🙏👍

I put a couple of Catappa leaves in the tank last night.  I think they might of helped a little with Buddy.  (or wishful thinking). Buddy swam to me to be fed … but, back to his corner.  
So … hopefully 🤞

5B7201B2-CFC6-4827-88FE-F3ED2785A59B.jpeg

0E9630F5-F0BE-42D8-8154-D3950EEE1541.jpeg

On 8/3/2021 at 9:08 PM, HH Morant said:

Yes, and even when you feel you have to clean it, don't clean it too thoroughly. The urge is to get it clean, but bacteria does not like a clean environment. Kind of the opposite.

Thank you 😊 

@Pattie It's funny I'm pretty computer savvy. I even dual boot arch linux with windows but I'm not phone savvy at all. For uploading pictures what I've been doing is from my Iphone I email the pic to myself. Then I just open it up on the computer and save the pic to the desktop. Then I can just drag it into a post or click the choose files link at the bottom. There might be easier ways but this is how I do it. If I can remember I remove meta data by right clicking the pic and saving a copy without the identifying stuff. Honestly not too worried about that though.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 10:44 PM, Pattie said:

City water … I use Prime water conditioner to eliminate the chlorine and chloramine ….at each water change. 

It would be useful for you to know which chemical is being used to treat your water. I off-gas water with chlorine in a bucket with an air stone for 24-36 hours. This saves me from having to treat water, which I would have to do with chloramine. 

• Like 1

Pattie;

Believe it or not, everyone on this forum was a newbie at one time or another, for me it was 1958. With the exception of Goldfish, I've bred and raised everything from Angelfish to Zebrafish since.

I used to belong to an international aquarium society and this forum is the best forum I've ever visited😊. To the best of my knowledge, nobody on this forum is an actual fisheries biologist and that's OK, we're all sharing knowledge gained from our own personal experiences, some good, some not so good, but well meaning anyway.

You can always Google anything you don't understand from fish, fish compatibility, and fish diseases.

Don't be afraid of scientific names of fish diseases. I recently diagnosed a disease that affected another members fish, someone else said that the disease was something else using the scientific name. I Googled the scientific name and found out my diagnosis was correct, but I discovered that the best temps for our tanks is 85 degrees to prevent all fish diseases. I used to advocate keeping our tanks at a temp between 81 and 83 degrees to prevent diseases, but the fine folks at the Minnesota Dept. of Natural Resources have convinced me to go to 85 degrees so I've raised the temps in all of my tanks.  

From 1983 to 1989 I bred and raised Betta's, Dwarf Gourami's, and Paradise fish exclusively to sell to an LFS in Orlando, FL and this is why I took an interest in Buddy's plight. 

Betta's generally only live for about two years, and they're usually already about a year old when they reach your LFS😶.

I also advocate that you never flush dead fish, plant clippings, or used aquarium water down the toilet. Whatever pathogens that are on your fish, plants, or in the water is flushed down with them. It's best to throw the fish and plants in the trash, and use the water on your flowers or garden. There's great fertilizer in fish water.

I'm also an advocate in the belief that the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.

Sincerely

Gator

• Like 3

On 8/3/2021 at 9:39 PM, Gator said:

Pattie;

Sincerely

Gator

Hi Gator,

Thank you for all your information and sharing your knowledge.  Buddy and I greatly appreciate all your help.

Today, I ordered Fluvel Peat Granular and bags.  There are so many companies out there … Fluvel is a familiar brand, so I went with it.  I am really looking forward to see how the condition of the water changes.  I ordered a better light (LED) with a timer and adjustable lighting.  Right now, I have a T8 florescent (old school) … 🙂

Next month, I will get a couple of plants and a better testing kit.  I am using the strips for now but, I don’t trust them to be really accurate and the testing is limited. I want to test for ammonia and other things.

There is so much that I want to do and so much that I have to learn.  Patients, is big with this “little” hobby. 🙂  More tanks and more fish …

You have much knowledge …

Thank you

• Thanks 1

Welcome @Pattie!  Sorry you are having trouble with your tank.

The good news is (from what I can see) Buddy’s fins look good and healthy. That’s one sign that your water quality is good. 😊

To answer your question about the catappa leaves turning your water brown—that’s normal and totally fine. The peat will do that too, like @Gator said. If you look at @Streetwise’s tanks, you can see some are REALLY brown! But the fish love it.

I’m curious to know what’s special about Buddy’s corner. Is it the corner in the back of the tank? In the front? The darkest corner? The one closest to the light? There is a reason he’s choosing it and maybe there’s a way to make the whole tank just as comfy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi' Pattie;

Fluval peat granules is what I use, when it comes in, only use about a teaspoon of the granules in the media bag, they last a long time, and a media bag a quarter full may be just a bit too much for a 10 G tank.

If your LED light is programmable, program it for full spectrum and set your timer for the times I suggested. You're going to love it, your fish and your plants are going to love it, your tank is going to look great. Your plants are going to grow like you've never seen them grow before, and if you're lucky, you'll get to see one or more of your plants pearling. Pearling is really cool.

I never trusted the test strips myself, a strip may show that a measurement is off, but doesn't indicate whether the measurement is too high or too low. I use an API Master Freshwater Test Kit and I get accurate results each time.

I can't stress enough the importance for you to go to Wally World to buy a Gravel vac,, two white 5 gallon buckets with lids, 4 jars of Alum (found in the spice aisle, and they're not cheap), and 4 one gallon jugs of Spring water, use the Spring water to make your tea or coffee, but save the jugs.

When you empty the first jug, put 9 tablespoons of Alum in one of the buckets, add 3 gallons of dechlorinated water to the bucket and stir it up to dissolve the Alum, put the lid on so the water doesn't evaporate, but measure the distance from the top of the bucket to the top of the water and use a sharpie to mark the second bucket at that distance all of the way around the bucket.

When you change 25% of the water in your 10 G tank, you'll be removing about 3 G, and since your bucket is already marked for 3 G, you'll know when you've removed enough. Because of evaporation, you'll probably be replacing about 4 G of water which is why I suggested you buy 4 G of Spring water.

When you finish each jug, refill them with dechlorinated water and set them aside, out of the way for at least a week before using them in your tank. This will allow the water to warm up to the ambient room temp before going into your tank.

You don't need to uproot your plants to use gravel vac, you can vacuum around the plants. That stuff you see the vacuum picking up is not the beneficial bacteria your tank needs, that stuff you see is fish waste and uneaten fish food that has built up.

The beneficial bacteria HH Morant is referring to is everywhere in your tank, in the cycled filter, on the plant leaves, on every piece of decorations in your tank, and on every piece of gravel, the bacteria will die if you let these dry out. So go on and vacuum the gravel, clean the glass, you'll be fine. 

When you start replacing the water you took out, pour each jug in through the top of the HOB filter so the water will go through the peat pellets before going into your tank. Also, pour the water in one gallon at a time every 15 minutes, think of it as acclimating your fish all over again, which you are.

I hope I haven't made water changes seem like a daunting task, it really isn't. Before long you'll get the hang of it and find ways to make it easier for you given your schedule and space available.

Sincerely

Gator 

Whenever you buy new plants, take the lid off of your Alum bath and put your plants into the bucket and let them soak for at least 3 hours. The Alum will kill any living snails on the new plants right now, but it takes 3 hours for the Alum to penetrate the egg masses to kill  the eggs.

Hey, Hobbit;

Could it be that Buddy's special corner has the least amount of water movement?

When I bred and raised Betta's, Dwarf Gourami's, and Paradise fish, they seemed to prefer an area with the least amount of water movement, possibly to keep the water movement from destroying their bubble nests. Then again it could be for one of the reasons you suggest, it would be interesting to find out.

Sincerely

Gator

• Like 1

Welcome, Pattie! 😊 Did you confirm your tank temp?  Maybe I missed it.  You said Buddy hangs out at the top and at the heater.  It won’t explain the tetra loss, but maybe Buddy is looking for more warmth.  I hope 🤞 things get better soon ; you’re in the right place for help & support.  🙂

• Like 2

Hello 👋 

I have a cheep siphon that I use in my water changes.  I want to an upgrade but, for now it’s fine, it’s doing the job.  Funny … first time that I saw Cory on YouTube 😊  He was illustrating and giving instructions on how to siphon a tank.  I’ve been hooked on his videos ever since.

My water temp. was at 81 degrees.  It is now about 84 … I lowered the bubbles in the sponge filter, the HOB does not have a control switch to control water flow but, it’s not too bad (I think, Buddy may not).  
QUESTION:  I know bettas like  a calm environment.  If I lower the water flow too much, won’t that cause problems?  How much of a bubble flow should there be to assure oxygen is not an issue and that the sponge filter is doing it’s job?  I vamped up the sponge filter and put in an air stone.   Water flow, is it different for the different species of fish?  I want to make this tank a Gourami tank, eventually and put Buddy in a 5 gal with a few roommates.   Anyway … water flow is the question 🙋🏻‍♀️  Would the water flow be different for a betta vs a Gourami?

Gator, I have to re-read your instructions  and will give it a try.  It sounds fun and definitely different from what I have read and what I have been doing, so far.   

Thank you to you all … 🙏

On 8/5/2021 at 8:38 AM, Pattie said:

Hello 👋 

I have a cheep siphon that I use in my water changes.  I want to an upgrade but, for now it’s fine, it’s doing the job.  Funny … first time that I saw Cory on YouTube 😊  He was illustrating and giving instructions on how to siphon a tank.  I’ve been hooked on his videos ever since.

My water temp. was at 81 degrees.  It is now about 84 … I lowered the bubbles in the sponge filter, the HOB does not have a control switch to control water flow but, it’s not too bad (I think, Buddy may not).  
QUESTION:  I know bettas like  a calm environment.  If I lower the water flow too much, won’t that cause problems?  How much of a bubble flow should there be to assure oxygen is not an issue and that the sponge filter is doing it’s job?  I vamped up the sponge filter and put in an air stone.   Water flow, is it different for the different species of fish?  I want to make this tank a Gourami tank, eventually and put Buddy in a 5 gal with a few roommates.   Anyway … water flow is the question 🙋🏻‍♀️  Would the water flow be different for a betta vs a Gourami?

Gator, I have to re-read your instructions  and will give it a try.  It sounds fun and definitely different from what I have read and what I have been doing, so far.   

Thank you to you all … 🙏

On 8/5/2021 at 2:15 AM, Gator said:

Hi' Pattie;

Fluval peat granules is what I use, when it comes in, only use about a teaspoon of the granules in the media bag, they last a long time, and a media bag a quarter full may be just a bit too much for a 10 G tank.

If your LED light is programmable, program it for full spectrum and set your timer for the times I suggested. You're going to love it, your fish and your plants are going to love it, your tank is going to look great. Your plants are going to grow like you've never seen them grow before, and if you're lucky, you'll get to see one or more of your plants pearling. Pearling is really cool.

I never trusted the test strips myself, a strip may show that a measurement is off, but doesn't indicate whether the measurement is too high or too low. I use an API Master Freshwater Test Kit and I get accurate results each time.

I can't stress enough the importance for you to go to Wally World to buy a Gravel vac,, two white 5 gallon buckets with lids, 4 jars of Alum (found in the spice aisle, and they're not cheap), and 4 one gallon jugs of Spring water, use the Spring water to make your tea or coffee, but save the jugs.

When you empty the first jug, put 9 tablespoons of Alum in one of the buckets, add 3 gallons of dechlorinated water to the bucket and stir it up to dissolve the Alum, put the lid on so the water doesn't evaporate, but measure the distance from the top of the bucket to the top of the water and use a sharpie to mark the second bucket at that distance all of the way around the bucket.

When you change 25% of the water in your 10 G tank, you'll be removing about 3 G, and since your bucket is already marked for 3 G, you'll know when you've removed enough. Because of evaporation, you'll probably be replacing about 4 G of water which is why I suggested you buy 4 G of Spring water.

When you finish each jug, refill them with dechlorinated water and set them aside, out of the way for at least a week before using them in your tank. This will allow the water to warm up to the ambient room temp before going into your tank.

You don't need to uproot your plants to use gravel vac, you can vacuum around the plants. That stuff you see the vacuum picking up is not the beneficial bacteria your tank needs, that stuff you see is fish waste and uneaten fish food that has built up.

The beneficial bacteria HH Morant is referring to is everywhere in your tank, in the cycled filter, on the plant leaves, on every piece of decorations in your tank, and on every piece of gravel, the bacteria will die if you let these dry out. So go on and vacuum the gravel, clean the glass, you'll be fine. 

When you start replacing the water you took out, pour each jug in through the top of the HOB filter so the water will go through the peat pellets before going into your tank. Also, pour the water in one gallon at a time every 15 minutes, think of it as acclimating your fish all over again, which you are.

I hope I haven't made water changes seem like a daunting task, it really isn't. Before long you'll get the hang of it and find ways to make it easier for you given your schedule and space available.

Sincerely

Gator 

Whenever you buy new plants, take the lid off of your Alum bath and put your plants into the bucket and let them soak for at least 3 hours. The Alum will kill any living snails on the new plants right now, but it takes 3 hours for the Alum to penetrate the egg masses to kill  the eggs.

Hi Gator,

The water change you described makes perfect sense.  That being said, I have a few questions … 

Alum … there many varieties, sizes and makers 🤦‍♀️   What are you using?

The Alum bucket’s use? Besides, giving new plants a bath.  Am I making up this bucket and then, setting it aside?

The second bucket is marked, based on the Alum bucket’s water measurements.  The second bucket is my water changing bucket, as I am emptying tank water into it and to the measured markings.  I have my gallon jugs set up with dechlorinated water, pouring each gallon through the HOB.  Good so far?🤞

Am I eliminating the mesh carbon filter in the HOB and replacing it with the peat pellets?  How long do the peat granules last?  How often is the change?   I have the Aqueon Kit HOB 10 filter …  I watched a Cory video about upgrading filters, last night.  He used the filter that I have and he eliminated the mesh filter, replacing with bio rings.  Any suggestions will really great.

One more - what is Pearling? ☺️

Look forward to hearing from you 🙂

• Thanks 1