Window tanks

Keeg

So I'm going to assume that everyone knows that you shouldn't have your fish tank placed next to a window because of algae and such. We've all heard it from one place or another. And all I want to say is that it is such a shame that this is said about tanks. Generally this would be a good thought for people just getting into the hobby but like have you ever seen your tank lit up by actual sunshine? If you haven't, let me explain it. Your little ecosystem that you made is perfected for 1 hour of the day and nothing you can add to the tank can ever make it feel that complete again. 

105EAC3E-C334-4BAD-9A61-97BAEFD58E3B.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Love 9

I agree. That puffer looks great in that light. I have the rack system where every tank gets about 30 minutes of direct sunlight from 5pm to 8pm or so this time of year. Pretty good indirect throughout the day. My fish and plants also seem to love it. They look better to me with that vitamin D shining on them from the "big orange ball". 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My new set up in the basement is getting about 1.5 hours of natural sunlight from the one and only small window (old house). When I first noticed this about a week ago, I just sat down and watched fish for 30min. The colour difference in the fish is amazing. The shadows in the tank just added to the texture and depth as well. Come winter it will not get any and I will miss it very much.

• Like 3

That puffer knows he looks awesome :)

I have two tiny tanks right next to a window with lots of afternoon sun. There is a bit of green spot algae, but a lot less than I expected and the plants, fish, and shrimp all seem to love the sunshine. 

• Like 2

The puffer looks gorgeous in the sunlight. I don't know. There is something about the natural light coming into your aquarium that is just so appealing. I have a tank on a southern window. the plants in the tank start pearling whenever the sun starts to hit the tank. My neon tetras have almost an iridescent glow when placed in the sun! 

Though its quite a pain to balance it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2021 at 8:21 AM, Keeg said:

So I'm going to assume that everyone knows that you shouldn't have your fish tank placed next to a window because of algae and such. We've all heard it from one place or another. And all I want to say is that it is such a shame that this is said about tanks. Generally this would be a good thought for people just getting into the hobby but like have you ever seen your tank lit up by actual sunshine? If you haven't, let me explain it. Your little ecosystem that you made is perfected for 1 hour of the day and nothing you can add to the tank can ever make it feel that complete again. 

105EAC3E-C334-4BAD-9A61-97BAEFD58E3B.jpeg

I love that you said this. All my tanks get 1-2 hours at different times of the day. It is spectacular and probably healthier for aquatic life in general to at least get a bit. Your little puffer is adorable!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The area in our house that my husband graciously gifted me to fill with tanks is, unfortunately, quite far from any window. It’s really the only downside about that spot. I love natural light on fish tanks!!

Edited by Hobbit
  • Like 2

On 8/3/2021 at 8:54 AM, Fonske said:

That puffer knows he looks awesome 🙂

I have two tiny tanks right next to a window with lots of afternoon sun. There is a bit of green spot algae, but a lot less than I expected and the plants, fish, and shrimp all seem to love the sunshine. 

Oh for sure, he's such a show boat lol 

• Like 1

15 of 21 tanks get some natural sun (if I also count the 4 culture tanks, wait 5 if you count my new green water jar as a tank and that makes it 22 tanks, lol!).  Pic is of my favorite for sun/light.  This isn’t the perfect angle on the light, I’ll work on that.  This is the 75 gallon in my sig.

41EF5227-19AF-43C9-BD4D-FD0D921C5532.jpeg

• Like 4

I am glad that I ignored the advice I have read in books to keep your aquariums away from windows.  I do think that it works best in a planted tank ecosystem.  All four of my tanks receive natural light from north facing windows and can definitely handle the colder winter months.  I love watching the summer sunrise through the tanks!

• Like 1

@StreetwiseYeah I do have a lot of windows, especially in our living room. However the window has couches and stuff by it, no place for an aquarium. All though there is one window that I may see myself using in the future. It is right above my communtiy tank. I have though about perhaps making a racking system of muscel racks, one rack woud be high enough to reach the winow.

And I dont know if I trust any of my window cells enough to hold an aquairum long term.