Rainbow fish with fuzzy lip?

Gannon

I have two rainbows in my 125 that in the last week have developed a bit of white stuff on the upper lip. There is what looks like skin flapping around on it too. I’ve had these fish for months so this is very dissapointing. What might this be? Cottonmouth? columnaris? Regular injury? How should I act to fix this? They are in a 125 gallon tank, should I treat the whole tank?

55921DE6-D351-480D-BC56-5DA242DD771F.jpeg

It's really hard for me to even see in person, the fish never stop moving. It has a very very mildly cotton wool like appearance. I'll also add that one of the two fish has had this for a week and it seems to have healed about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way. Is that helpful information at all? Sorry about the trouble. 

It could be some form of cotton mouth they can get white patches on they mouths with columnaris that would have spread more quickly I would get some API fungus cure the active ingredient is Doxycycline it also treat against secondary bacterial infection and treat the main tank 

Edited by Colu

On 8/2/2021 at 5:56 PM, Colu said:

I can't really tell of your picture what's going on does it have a fuzz cotton wool like apprance

t's really hard for me to even see in person, the fish never stop moving. It has a very very mildly cotton wool like appearance. It also had a a little skin looking substance that waves around in the current thats on the lip. To me in most closely resembles an  I'll also add that one of the two fish has had this for a week and it seems to have healed about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way. Is that helpful information at all? Sorry about the trouble. 

On 8/2/2021 at 6:08 PM, Colu said:

It could be some form of cotton mouth they can get white patches on they mouths with columnaris that would have spread more quickly I would get some API fungus cure the active ingredient is Doxycycline treat the main tank 

I have fritz maracyn, would that work? I only have a enough to treat this huge tank twice though

On 8/2/2021 at 6:23 PM, Colu said:

I only use maracyn for bacterial infection only but it does say on the box that it treats body fungus  in my experience fungal cure is  the more effective med for treating body fungus or mouth fungus 

okay I guess im gonna have to go out and somehow find enough for my tank. Appreciate the advice!

On 8/2/2021 at 6:23 PM, Colu said:

I only use maracyn for bacterial infection only but it does say on the box that it treats body fungus  in my experience fungal cure is  the more effective med for treating body fungus or mouth fungus 

Do you know where I might be able to find this stuff? My local fish stores are closed. Would i be able to find it at petco or petsmart? Dont see it on their website

would maracyn work as well? The aquarium Co-op blog said it was their recomendation in this scenario. Will use paraguard if this doesnt work.

On 8/2/2021 at 9:13 PM, Trish said:

I have cleared up lip fungus on a giant danio with 4 or 5 doses of Paraguard then water change.  I've used it half dose on Cherry Shrimp with no ill effects.  Didn't bother my plants.  

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 9:20 PM, Trish said:

I would certainly take Aquarium Co-op's recommendation.  Maracyn is hard to get here and Paraguard has worked well for fin rot and fungus with my fish.   

Gotcha. Sorry to hear that its hard to get where you're from. Is it limited or illegal like medications are in Canada?

On 8/2/2021 at 7:21 PM, Gannon said:

Gotcha. Sorry to hear that its hard to get where you're from. Is it limited or illegal like medications are in Canada?

It just disappeared off the shelf, as did General Cure.  Been waiting 6 months to get Prazipro and so far no luck.  Those are nice rainbows! @Gannon

Edited by Trish

On 8/2/2021 at 9:24 PM, Trish said:

It just disappeared off the shelf, as did General Cure.  Been waiting 6 months to get Prazipro and so far no luck.  

That's a real shame, makes no sense, you'd hope stores would stock important stuff like that. Hobbyists need it. 

• Like 1

I had a diamond tetra with a fuzzy upper lip when I was just starting out my (newly-cycled) tank. I treated the tank with Maracyn along with 1 dose of ich-x in the water, just in case, to try and cover the fungus. 

The fish did recover, but in retrospect, I'm not totally sure it was the medicine that helped. Maybe it did? Or he could have just settled and healed on his own in a nice clean tank. I don't actually have any way to prove what helped him. His face is still scarred, so if it is mouth rot, I'd expect it to look a little funny for the rest of the fish's life. Shouldn't affect behavior or quality of life.

It's worth a shot, and I hope the maracyn works for you!