Months ago I started a thread about beginner low-tech plants. But the more I researched, I was discouraged and just ignored plants. 

Now that I have a chance to rebuild my 10 gallon, and try using anoxic filtration, I thought trying plants might be a good experiment.  

But I have very big limitations... 

I have one of the old hoods with incandescent bulbs.  I don't want to replace that with a clear lid. And I don't want to run incandescents that much. 

There is some ambient light on one side of the tank when the blinds are open. But the room itself doesn't get direct sunlight.  I could however turn on an LED desk lamp in the room for more light.  I wouldn't mind getting one of those cheap submersible LED lights but I know that's not meant for plants. 

I'm really trying to keep this as low budget as possible. 

Are there any low light and low tech plants (other than anubias) that can grow in this environment?   For experimental purposes, I want to try root feeders, if any options exist. 

Plants I've been researching but can't find the answer I'm looking for:  moneywort, valisneria, Amazon sword.  I have seen someone say saggi-something (sorry) kept growing  after he abandoned the tank and never turned on the lights. But I'm not sure what that was. 

I prefer plants I can find in tubes so I don't have to worry about snails, but since I plan on doing a fishless cycle, if snails are there, they might just die off.

I'm planning to keep a cold water tank (between 65-75 degrees depending on room temperature, but 72 is the average).  Occupied by white cloud minnows (even the fish will be cheap). 

Edited by Gideyon

Crypts and buce can handle pretty low light. The plant you can't remember is dwarf saggitaria. It also can handle really low light. With a hood like yours, I would just switch out the bulb with an LED bulb. They are pretty cheap nowadays and can be pretty powerful light wise. The problem with direct sun is that your tank wil heat up.

• Like 3

Ambient light is probably too low for most plants.

Here is a tank I have at room temperature but it gets sunlight through a window. Vallisneria grows well in this tank.

image.png.1cf02a8db6106cc40a906d4816f310

Here is another room temperature tank that has pygmy sunfish and shrimp in it. It is in a north facing room and not near the window. It only gets ambient light north light. Hornwort and anacharis/elodea (and duckweed) grow, but very slowly.

image.png.3b0333411ce552dcc859c9cf23893ebe.png

I agree with @Expectorating_Aubergine that dwarf Saggitaria would be a good plant to try also.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2021 at 5:36 PM, Expectorating_Aubergine said:

With a hood like yours, I would just switch out the bulb with an LED bulb

When I read the description for such a bulb, it said I need to remove or bypass the ballast.  I'm not totally incompetent when it comes to electrical tinkering, but that may be out of my wheelhouse. 

I'll keep looking.. Thanks.. 

I agree with previous posters that Val. and dwarf sag. are both basically indestructible for me even under the densest growths of Watersprite.  You will probably need some form of additional lighting in the winter even if ambient light works for your location right now.  The direction and distance to the window also make a big difference in the amount of light the tank will receive.  I find that the books on Houseplants do the best visualizing this.

I recommend getting a cheap clamp light with a standard LED bulb if you do not want to reuse your existing light.  You should be able to find a LED bulb that fits your specific light at your local hardware store though.  For example, I use a 75W 5000K LED flood light with an 5.5" HDX clamp light on a Kasa Wifi timer for my 10 Gal QT Tank in a North facing window.  I do use a glass cover to control evaporation.

20210802_181934.jpg.d3aa17f05029ff4715a471f440fc8fa9.jpg

• Like 2

I think the led replacement tubes are fairly expensive, but I think you’ll be able to grow low light plants with a fluorescent bulb if that’s what you have. 
This is a cheap option from Amazon that’s only a bit more than those underwater light,

NICREW Fish Tank Clip on Light, Clamp Aquarium Light with White and Blue LEDs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QQ9K3R9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_JMRS5GJ17AM3KCJNJNJF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

5084CE21-1632-497A-950D-C05F56819332.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 12:16 AM, Patrick_G said:

I think the led replacement tubes are fairly expensive, but I think you’ll be able to grow low light plants with a fluorescent bulb if that’s what you have. 
This is a cheap option from Amazon that’s only a bit more than those underwater light,

NICREW Fish Tank Clip on Light, Clamp Aquarium Light with White and Blue LEDs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QQ9K3R9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_JMRS5GJ17AM3KCJNJNJF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

5084CE21-1632-497A-950D-C05F56819332.jpeg

Thanks. This light would require me to replace my hood with a glass / clear lid.  I don't want to get into that.  I went ahead and ordered a pair of bulbs for $18 from some no name Amazon company.  

Edited by Gideyon

I have the crypt lutea, dwarf sagg, and Val in my cart. Just waiting for the tank to be ready before I get it. 

Is this the crypt you'd recommend for low light?  It's not the best looking of them, but it may be my only option.  

I'm a little uncertain about the Val though. I don't mind if the sag "runs" everywhere, but Val seems like it takes more maintenance.  Trimming when it gets too long, cutting off runners if they end up where you don't want them.    But I do like the background val can offer - assuming it only grows in the back. 

Question...  How deep should the substrate be for these plants?  I was planning for 3", but not sure if there's a minimum to thrive. 

Edited by Gideyon

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2021 at 4:05 PM, Gideyon said:

Any thoughts on water wisteria?  I came across this in my research.  It apparently does well with low light. I'm just wondering if it does too well... ie take over the tank. 

Wisteria in my low light 10 gallon project tank took 7 months to grow from a rotting stub to about 10".  It tends to grow slower and wider in low light  I trimmed it for the first time almost a month ago and I now have 3 plants.