Flashing

TMartins

Hello everyone, my fish in a 20 gallon aquarium have been occasionally flashing on the live plants and gravel substrate for some time now.  First it was definitely Ich because I could visually see the white spots.  I treated them with Ich-X and it went away.  Then I treated them with PraziPro for 4 weeks and they’re still flashing.  In the 4 weeks I was treating with PraziPro there was no sign of white spots.  It’s happening too with a separate Grow Out tank I have with Platy fry, some of the fry I’ve seen flashing on occasion.  Should I continue with PraziPro or is there some other irritant in the water??  I’m feeding them Spectrum pellets, Vibra bites, Repashy Community Plus.  I live in Fall River Massachusetts and I’ve noticed the city doing a lot of construction but not sure if it’s to the water lines.

Temp 76-77 / ph 7.4 / Ammonia & Nitrite 0 / Nitrate 5 / Kh & Gh 6 / I have coral rock to keep the ph from dropping (soft city water) / I use Seachem Prime

2A7F85D2-7526-4F50-9E17-9D89CE509CA4.jpeg.48ce66892f427c4ef2eba61afe5eca67.jpeg

Flashing is a nonspecific symptom. It can be flukes or other external parasites like ich or epistylis, or it can be a bacterial infection. Or it could be a passing itch that had to be scratched. You can take a shot at a treatment for whichever malady you think it is, or you can wait to see some other symptom that helps you figure out what the problem is.

I know that is not much help, but that's all I've got. I hope one of the more knowledgeable folks can give you more helpful advice.

I would try antibiotics in the food, given that you have already treated with praziquantel and ich-x.

• Thanks 1

All my fish seem fine and in good health.  They’re all eating well and swimming around and their colors are vibrant.  It’s just that flashing every so often??  I’m constantly checking the parameters and everything is good.  

On 8/2/2021 at 6:46 PM, TMartins said:

All my fish seem fine and in good health.  They’re all eating well and swimming around and their colors are vibrant.  It’s just that flashing every so often??  I’m constantly checking the parameters and everything is good.  

I understand the worry. I am a stay-at-home-mom, so when I'm not watching my kids I like to watch my tanks and make sure everyone's doing all right. The problem with watching my tanks so much is I see all the little eccentricities and over-analyze.

My fish are flash every so often, too, and they've all gone through a few rounds of parasite meds (different kinds, too). Likely they're fine. Just keep an eye on it, and if it increases in severity or you see other symptoms pop up, then it's an issue that needs addressing. Is it a lot of fish, and is it constant or severe? I run CO2 in my display and I've noticed that if I do catch a fish flashing, they will do it while it's running, but never while it's off.

• Thanks 1

I’ve noticed all of my fish (1 Bolivian, 3 Platies, 5 Cory’s) flash at some point or another.  None have any visible signs of parasites, infections or injuries and are swimming and eating fine.  They’ve been through rounds of Ich-X, Paracleanse and PraziPro.  I haven’t done the other med on the Trio because they exhibit no signs for it.  I will just have to monitor them and try not to over analyze.

I used to think the same thing whenever I saw a strange action. I would rush to medications before even thinking about other possibilities. But 1/30 times, it is an actual problem, the rest of the time its just someone wanting to get that scratch they can't reach

• Thanks 1

I know sometimes my guppy juveniles will flash when I move them to their sorority/fraternity tank and occasionally when I add a wondershell or when the water company treats the water. It always goes away. Parents were med trio’d and they are fine. Guess it just itchy

• Thanks 1