What music are you listening to these days?

OnlyGenusCaps

On 8/25/2021 at 1:59 AM, Jennifer V said:

I'm currently listening to a mix of what the kids these days call "classic rock." It's a collection of my fave songs by bands like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Smashing Pumpkins

That's not classic rock.  Classic rock is not a moving window.  Things don't lapse into "classic rock" as they age.  It;'s an era.  Things like Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd, and the Rolling Stones are classic rock.  What you listed are band that are alternative rock.  Not bad.  Just not classic rock.  Just say'n.  😉

On 8/25/2021 at 12:47 PM, GameCzar said:

Any Stan Rogers fans?

Yes!  And here is a great song by The Dreadnoughts about him:

• Love 1

On 9/3/2021 at 12:27 AM, Jennifer V said:

oh I totally agree! I take it rather offensively when kids refer to those bands as classic rock. Maybe that's just my age talking!

Me: *shakes fish wildly in the air while approaching teens* You kids today!  Mötley Crüe is not Classic Rock!  Respect your genres!  What's next, Bob Marley is Hip Hop?  Where will it end?!

Teens:  🙄

Me: And when I was a kid we didn't have any motors on our skateboards.  We pushed them along with our feet and we managed to injure ourselves just fine!

Teens: 😳

• Haha 2

On 9/3/2021 at 8:40 AM, sudofish said:

Lol I had to do a double take seeing Angus in person. TV doesn't do it justice. He's one of the shortest men I've ever seen.

you can tell when angus plays with anyone else, they all look like giants. angus is little, malcom was, brian johnson is pretty short, bon scott was a little guy too. they play like giants though.

• Like 3

On 9/2/2021 at 6:58 PM, Ken said:

Boy, this sent me down a rabbit hole! 😄 I got on a great guitarist kick. First I had to watch some Roy Clark, then I remembered Eric Clapton and had to watch a bunch of him. Then Slash popped up... And it just occurred to me that Angus Young is pretty dang good too. Headphones and YouTube on the big TV again tonight. 

I may have mentioned this here before, but when my son, who is now 31, was in school he participated in a science fair, and did something with an electric guitar for his project.  After the judging was over one of the judges called him over to the side and asked him if the guitarists in the pictures on his report cover were just random pictures he got from the internet.

Without hesitation Will pointed to them one at a time and said "Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, and Jimmy Page."  The guy looked at him and said "Your teacher should give you an A just for knowing that."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

@JettsPapa I love Jimi Hendrix!!!  

They used to have his childhood home in seattle but sadly it was demolished 😞 

It is pretty cool that all around the city there are little murals and statues dedicated to him.

I though this blog post was pretty cool, I learned a lot about hendrix. 

https://www.theclipboardoffun.com/travel/2019/10/7/a-guide-to-jimi-hendrixs-seattle

• Like 1

I once owned every album Jimi Hendrix had released up to that time... late seventies. When my family and I moved back to the US the boxes with all my albums didn't make the trip.

I was in High School at Frankfurt American (West Germany) and if we really hurried we could get to the "Top Pop Shop" after school and back before the bus showed up to take us back out to Hochst am Main where we lived.

• Like 2

For those going down the guitar god rabbit hole, here's a artist not everyone is familiar with.  His technique is a sight to behold with him hammering the bass line with his left hand while he hammers out the lead with his right.  He sometimes does this on multiple guitars at once.     

• Like 2

On 9/4/2021 at 7:00 AM, GameCzar said:

For those going down the guitar god rabbit hole, here's a artist not everyone is familiar with.  His technique is a sight to behold with him hammering the bass line with his left hand while he hammers out the lead with his right.  He sometimes does this on multiple guitars at once.     

Sweet! Speaking of guitar gods one day I was on lunch break and walked past the Guitar Center in Seattle. They were blasting some Joe Satriani. I was stoked so I slowed down to listen. Something didn’t seem right. It sounded too good to be a recording. I opened the door and sure enough there was Joe doing an in store! 

• Love 5

Wow Jungle Fan does that resonate with me too. I literally would (try) to sing (very poorly) most of Boheme or Turandot while hiking up Long's Peak in CO every summer.

I guess there's many types of "summits"!

To my ears, these two performances represent the very best of their genres that I've ever heard. Totally different yet remarkably related. 

One is to me, the finest human voice and vocalist that ever lived, Pavarotti.  In this god awful, cheesy B- 1980s flick he starred in, there's literally not a minute worth watching until he end when he performs a miracle. His signature song being Puccini's Nessun Dorma is performed at the end with no audience. Lousy quality but IMO there is no performance of this song or in Opera itself that has an equivalent. He holds the final note an insane 18 SECONDS with effortless, breathtaking power!

And not unlike what he does above, Beth Hart does the same with this blues song. The ability of transformation from style to style mid-song and the incredible control and nuance has to be heard to fully fathom. And with POWER that often shocks you. Here 'stylistically' that is, she begins as Nina Simone, migrates to Etta James, intersperses Ella Fitzgerald into it, and finishes it as Janis Joplin but with the power of an Opera singer, which she was. To my ears, I have never, ever heard such control and power in any genre of music except on an Opera stage.

But this is Blues and Rock. Janis must be smiling down on this girl!

• Like 3

If you've ever wondered what Led Zeppelin would sound like if Janis Joplin was the lead singer, here you go:

The sheer power and intensity is difficult to fathom at times. Soprano Elizabeth Zharoff, calls her "Janis on Steroids!" She notes how she does huge runs, multiple diphthongs and she literally drops off camera to the floor to pump air up the diaphragm for even more power, especially on high notes. Astounding technique.

For Humble Pie fans, her covers of "I Don't Need No Doctor" and "Black Coffee" are electrifying and almost superhuman. As much as I loved Steve Marriott's voice, I get chills from her Black Coffee cover.

-------------------

And this has to be one of the greatest Rock/Blues guitar duets...ever:

Each of these guys refers to the other as "the world's greatest guitarist". An all too common claim but they certainly would qualify as nominees!

When I was growing up in the 1970s, my dad loathed my music. He'd hear my Stones and Zeppelin and often said to me (I paraphrase) "Do you think you'll listen to that s@#! when you grow up! You'll listen to my music when you're an adult!". 

Sorry dad, I'm old now and NO, I still hate Percy Faith and Jerry Vale!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1