What music are you listening to these days?

OnlyGenusCaps

On 10/20/2021 at 8:56 PM, lefty o said:

absolutely agree. a jukebox should take quarters, and have big clunky buttons to push for your selection. not some digitized funky box on the wall with video screens. rockola anyone? id love to have a rockola jukebox in the house, it would match nicely with my rockola m1 carbine.

Rockola for the win! Mine's a Quality Hardware.

• Like 1

Hubby says I’ve turned his life into a musical because I sing out loud all day. I have a song to parody almost anything we are talking about. Even got him doing it about 2 years ago. Makes our life fun. He sang this to me when he got off night shift this morning 😍

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 1:14 PM, dasaltemelosguy said:

Although these two are hardcore Blues numbers, this is really a variation on the theme of this topic as these are not music videos per se, these are REACTION VIDEOS

If you've never watched a Reaction Video, initially to many it sounds absurd. At my advanced age, I must admit, it sounded like a strange if not absurd idea...watching someone else watch a music video? Weird.

Most of them are by amateurs and as such, the quality is highly variable. 

Some however are made by professional musicians or producers and watching a track you think is exceptional, being watched by a professional with commentary, especially when the Reaction is virgin (the Reactor has never heard or seen it previously so the commentary is more emotional and spontaneous), can yield surprising if not shocking reactions and provide a plethora of information, often bringing to light many virtues and nuances you may have been missing for years in songs you've perhaps heard 100X. 

These are just two such "Reactions" but are two of the best of this Reactor genre. 

The first is by opera singer and vocal coach Elizabeth Zharoff (she is NOT reacting to Opera here, this is a Blues number) who analyzes a cover of the Blues classic "I'd Rather Go Blind". As she watches the video, she's literally speechless and pauses to explain the shocking virtuosity she's witnessing for the first time. Even though it's an old Rock/Blues cover, the techniques she illustrates in her Heavy Metal and Blues performances are commonly employed in Opera.

It shows astounding technique and voice and mic control that many argue is the best they've ever seen. She transforms from Etta James to an operatic soprano to full blown Janis Joplin within the same track. The Reactor is astounded yet details how she hits extraordinary notes by dropping her body to push air with astounding power and suddenly returns to near whispers with her unprecedented vocal control and simply remarkable mic control (she waves it around continuously to control the volume of her voice) to linearize her insanely powerful vocal volume.  

But this one is really wild. It starts deceptively as if it's a quiet, calm and frankly, boring Blues number. That all suddenly and shockingly changes by the first chorus and only builds to an energy level that at times seems almost dangerous!

Jacqueline Van Bierk is a songwriter and singer with several albums and a long history of composing for much more famous musicians and for television. 

Jacqueline Van Bierk's Reaction is to a Blues song "Am I the One". The Reactor is literally speechless from the beginning. She starts to comment a dozen+ times only to stop with jaw dropped as the song builds what ultimately becomes one of the highest energy Blues performances ever recorded. 

If you love the Blues, these are both a lot of fun and can be very educational. Excellent Reactions can at times change your appreciation for something you thought you knew exhaustively for many years. Even if you don't like Blues, these are still really worth watching for the above reasons. And should you like them but not the artist or music, there's obviously many more Reaction Videos that cover many more artists as well. 

I watched all of the first video and part of the second one.  I like Blues, and I like female Blues singers, and I won't argue the fact that Beth Hart is very talented, but there's just a little too much going on there for my taste.  I much prefer Etta James version of "I'd Rather Go Blind."

• Like 1

I really like this one, but it's a fake. Someone with a lot of video editing talent made from segments of other performances. When Billy Gibbons saw it he said "someone obviously had too much time on thier hands". ZZ Top And Jeff Beck later did the song together for real. I like this version better because Tal Wilkenfeld plays in it.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2021 at 9:19 PM, Ken said:

I really like this one, but it's a fake. Someone with a lot of video editing talent made from segments of other performances. When Billy Gibbons saw it he said "someone obviously had too much time on thier hands". ZZ Top And Jeff Beck later did the song together for real. I like this version better because Tal Wilkenfeld plays in it.

i like that one, but t ernie ford is still the best.

• Like 2

On 10/20/2021 at 8:16 PM, sudofish said:

I'm subbed to Elizabeth Zharoff. Great channel. And she's a cutie

So, I never watch reaction videos, because, well, I can react to stuff all on my own.  But I have watched a few of her videos and I think she is uncommonly good on camera.  She is so expressive and engaging.  Plus she lives in my home-away-from-home, Tucson, AZ!  I also like that as an opera singer, she can appreciate the metal singers she has covered.  She has a broad appreciation for music, and it shines through. 

• Like 2