What music are you listening to these days?

OnlyGenusCaps

Although these two are hardcore Blues numbers, this is really a variation on the theme of this topic as these are not music videos per se, these are REACTION VIDEOS

If you've never watched a Reaction Video, initially to many it sounds absurd. At my advanced age, I must admit, it sounded like a strange if not absurd idea...watching someone else watch a music video? Weird.

Most of them are by amateurs and as such, the quality is highly variable. 

Some however are made by professional musicians or producers and watching a track you think is exceptional, being watched by a professional with commentary, especially when the Reaction is virgin (the Reactor has never heard or seen it previously so the commentary is more emotional and spontaneous), can yield surprising if not shocking reactions and provide a plethora of information, often bringing to light many virtues and nuances you may have been missing for years in songs you've perhaps heard 100X. 

These are just two such "Reactions" but are two of the best of this Reactor genre. 

The first is by opera singer and vocal coach Elizabeth Zharoff (she is NOT reacting to Opera here, this is a Blues number) who analyzes a cover of the Blues classic "I'd Rather Go Blind". As she watches the video, she's literally speechless and pauses to explain the shocking virtuosity she's witnessing for the first time. Even though it's an old Rock/Blues cover, the techniques she illustrates in her Heavy Metal and Blues performances are commonly employed in Opera.

It shows astounding technique and voice and mic control that many argue is the best they've ever seen. She transforms from Etta James to an operatic soprano to full blown Janis Joplin within the same track. The Reactor is astounded yet details how she hits extraordinary notes by dropping her body to push air with astounding power and suddenly returns to near whispers with her unprecedented vocal control and simply remarkable mic control (she waves it around continuously to control the volume of her voice) to linearize her insanely powerful vocal volume.  

But this one is really wild. It starts deceptively as if it's a quiet, calm and frankly, boring Blues number. That all suddenly and shockingly changes by the first chorus and only builds to an energy level that at times seems almost dangerous!

Jacqueline Van Bierk is a songwriter and singer with several albums and a long history of composing for much more famous musicians and for television. 

Jacqueline Van Bierk's Reaction is to a Blues song "Am I the One". The Reactor is literally speechless from the beginning. She starts to comment a dozen+ times only to stop with jaw dropped as the song builds what ultimately becomes one of the highest energy Blues performances ever recorded. 

If you love the Blues, these are both a lot of fun and can be very educational. Excellent Reactions can at times change your appreciation for something you thought you knew exhaustively for many years. Even if you don't like Blues, these are still really worth watching for the above reasons. And should you like them but not the artist or music, there's obviously many more Reaction Videos that cover many more artists as well. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

My brother and I were both 16 when we hopped a train into New York City in the vain hopes of trying to see The Rolling Stones in 1972. 

Their 1969 tour caused much disruption in NYC;  People set up tents and camped outside of Madison Square Garden for as much as 3 WEEKS prior to the tickets going on sale. Streets were impassible, even by NYC standards. Trains were so full, regular commuters could not get to their jobs. Tens of millions from all over the country and the world simultaneously vying to get tickets. In fact, Stones shows caused such massive temporary population movement, crime statistics literally dropped when they were in the city! 

Nonetheless, weary of the massive traffic and police requirements for their shows, in 1972, NYC mandated that: "Tickets to Rolling Stones shows will be sold via lottery only" in an effort to reduce the crippling effect their shows had on the city.

NYC sought to avoid this chaos by lottery-only ticket sales but that didn't stop two 16 year old's from saving $ all year and roaming from scalper to scalper around Madison Square Garden to try to 'score' a pair of tickets (Riots occurred outside of a Boston arena when scalpers began selling counterfeit tickets).

But we left disheartened. Scalpers were selling tickets from $1600-$10,000 and you could not be certain they were even real. Even at $1600, for a 16 year old in 1972? Needless to say, two dejected 16 year old's went home and played Exile on Main Street instead. 

(Most Stones historians will argue over which of their two tours is their greatest. It's almost inevitably one of two: 1969 vs 1972). 

Fast forward to 1974. 

Apparently, The Stones and Hollywood felt 1972 were indeed their greatest shows. Up until the official release on BluRay, the bootlegs we found of the 1972 shows revealed an almost superhuman performance, even through the abysmal bootleg quality. What we heard was absolutely electrifying speed and energy and a tightness that only a band that has played together for a very long time would have. 

This IMO is arguably the highest energy Stones performance of all time. 

But it gets better. The 1972 Tour was recorded in the best fidelity of the day in the embryonics of quadraphonic sound. When this recording is compared with almost any other from the early 70's, it's immediately apparent there was extraordinary care in recording the visuals and the fidelity.  

Only select theaters could show it as a FULL sound system for a live Rock show traveled with the film! Monstrous, thunderous, quadraphonic sound shook the theater and it's inhabitants to their core. 

It was rightfully billed as "The Rolling Stones Filmed Concert-NOT a Concert Film". it is IMO an extremely successful attempt to convey the power and feeling of a front row seat to that show. Not a second is dedicated to commentary or interviews, it starts as a convert, dark and background noise until the band EXPLODES on to the stage in an unrelenting assaults on your energy levels until you, the audience, well, everyone but the Stones seem exhausted. 

Masterfully filmed, the direction is so slick as the director laser focuses on every high energy moment and displays it fully, visual dynamics are timed with audible dynamics to augment both, awesome direction to be sure.  

The concert is astounding. It's EXTREMELY high energy. By the end you're exhausted! But they aren't. Jagger appears as if he could do it all again. The audience appears in near hysterics. 

IMO they were never as good prior to this tour (as they are here) and were never as good again.

Even if you are not a fan of them or their music, this performance is worth experiencing as it's both electrifying and it recorded them at their zenith. Jagger is at his best where he is clearly both the singer and 'the conductor' of the band's tempo, rhythm and speed.

I love 1969 tour with it's gritty, sloppy but hard rock playing but this is electrifyingly tight and fast, far higher in energy and speed than any of their other performances. More so than in 1969 or most certainly their later shows, this vividly demonstrates Jagger's position as one of the greatest performers ever.

BTW I can still remember the marquee on Madison Square Garden as we roamed the streets trying to buy tickets from scalpers (our first attempt in 1969): "This week: The Rolling Stones! Next Week: Muhammad Ali vs. Oscar Bonavena!". 

At the time, I had no idea how historic that was.  

• Like 3

On 10/20/2021 at 10:01 PM, GameCzar said:

I love finding this on Jukeboxes and playing it over and over!  🙂    

You know the last real jukebox I played was at a backwoods bar we used to shoot pool at. The last juke box I seen 5 years ago I could not figure out how to make it play. You used your phone and credit card 🤪 or had to be a computer programmer…I left very disappointed to be so darn outdated  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 10/20/2021 at 9:09 PM, Guppysnail said:

You know the last real jukebox I played was at a backwoods bar we used to shoot pool at. The last juke box I seen 5 years ago I could not figure out how to make it play. You used your phone and credit card 🤪 or had to be a computer programmer…I left very disappointed to be so darn outdated  

absolutely agree. a jukebox should take quarters, and have big clunky buttons to push for your selection. not some digitized funky box on the wall with video screens. rockola anyone? id love to have a rockola jukebox in the house, it would match nicely with my rockola m1 carbine.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 10/20/2021 at 10:56 PM, lefty o said:

absolutely agree. a jukebox should take quarters, and have big clunky buttons to push for your selection. not some digitized funky box on the wall with video screens. rockola anyone? id love to have a rockola jukebox in the house, it would match nicely with my rockola m1 carbine.

Now you have this stuck in my head talking about old jukeboxes…huge genre change 🤣

• Like 2