Have you ever accidentally exposed yourself as a Nerm?

AnimalNerd98

When I first came to the States, I saw the sign for a Mo’ Bettahs restaurant and said aloud: “Is that a fish store? Do they sell Bettas?” 

My lovely girlfriend at the time, now wife, looked over at me and immediately started laughing. When she composed herself she said: “No, it’s a Hawaiian food restaurant.” 🙃🙃🙃

Edited by AnimalNerd98
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/2/2021 at 2:31 AM, Keeg said:

Ive seen the term "Nerm" a lot but I have no idea what it means. Can you please explain? 

Cory was saying something in a video or livestream and was trying to say normal and fish nerd or something to this affect as his descriptor and it came out Nerm. 

• Like 2

I went on a quest for the correct ph/gh bottled natural spring water and buy our weekly groceries. Hubby works 3rd shift. He woke up and I spent 20 minutes detailing my adventure.  He asked me if I remembered bananas….I froze…I completely forget to get groceries after 4 grocery stores and a Wally World!  🙈 😳 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 8/2/2021 at 1:31 AM, Keeg said:

Ive seen the term "Nerm" a lot but I have no idea what it means. Can you please explain?

Definition here.

Also, to stay on topic...  I don't really have to say anything these days.  When people come into the house and see a 250 gallon tank, it tends to speak for me. 

Despite that, I still manage to get into odd situations.  Recently a friend wanted to make plans to grab dinner, and suggested this Thursday.  I said "ooh, can't.  I've got something going on that evening."  My wife helpfully chimed in to let the friend know that I'd be attending a "fish meeting", to which my friend inquired why I was "meeting" with my fish.  Thinking this would improve the situation, I explained that I would be attending a meeting for the local aquarium society.  Turns out this did not help and was met with chuckles at the idea that I would go out of my way to seek people out to talk about my aquariums.  The response intensified when it was revealed that the meeting would be held over Zoom.  They then wanted to kn ow what was so interesting I couldn't miss it.  The topic: Rapidly cycling your tank.  Silence.  "So, another night then...?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

On 8/2/2021 at 8:52 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Definition here.

Also, to stay on topic...  I don't really have to say anything these days.  When people come into the house and see a 250 gallon tank, it tends to speak for me. 

Despite that, I still manage to get into odd situations.  Recently a friend wanted to make plans to grab dinner, and suggested this Thursday.  I said "ooh, can't.  I've got something going on that evening."  My wife helpfully chimed in to let the friend know that I'd be attending a "fish meeting", to which my friend inquired why I was "meeting" with my fish.  Thinking this would improve the situation, I explained that I would be attending a meeting for the local aquarium society.  Turns out this did not help and was met with chuckles at the idea that I would go out of my way to seek people out to talk about my aquariums.  The response intensified when it was revealed that the meeting would be held over Zoom.  They then wanted to kn ow what was so interesting I couldn't miss it.  The topic: Rapidly cycling your tank.  Silence.  "So, another night then...?"

The struggle is real @OnlyGenusCaps.  I missed our BAP auction this weekend because of a family event out of town.  Then once the topic came up with family over the weekend I got nothing but blank stares...

See you Thursday though! Looking forward to the presentation and breakout room after!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/2/2021 at 1:31 AM, Keeg said:

a Nerm is someone who is secretly a big fish nerd. At work a nerm may act completley normal, but when they get home they nerd out on their fish, they watch cory for 2 hours straight, go on the forum for hours at a time, etc. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I always considered my self a "Nerm-lite" like Bud or Miller. The other day my coworker was discussing a fish tank she had for child years ago and I started in on the likely hood that the fish were live bearers, another mentioned that she didn't know fish gave live birth and that launched me into a ~5min explanation about the differences of egg-laying fish and live bearers. I came to the realization during that conversation that I was probably a little more than Nerm-lite...

Edited by Dancing Matt
  • Haha 5

My husband takes care of this for me. He finds it awkward to talk about himself, so whenever anyone asks him about his life or his hobbies or something he’s interested in, he launches into a dramatic long-form story about how fish are taking over our house.

Which I find HILARIOUS because compared to most nerms, my hobby is quite modest! Only four tanks and two outdoor tubs! Yes, the brine shrimp hatchery lived in our bathroom for a while but that was temporary…

• Haha 7

I received several strange/ blank looks when my answer to 'what did you do for your birthday?" when I said we went down to the big fish store to visit the fish and I was so excited to find my r/o supplies there

• Like 2

On 8/2/2021 at 1:33 PM, Jungle Fan said:

Anybody remember Nermal, and Garfield?

Over simplification:

a Nerm is someone who happily purrs along whenever given the chance to look at anything aquarium related!

I check on Nermal and Garfield every day on the educational page.

Yesterday I accidentally exposed myself as a nerm. and had a nermal conversation.

A couple came into the shop and the wife was looking at a very low work table that we use.  She said she really wanted one to get her woodworking projects off of the floor.  I commented that it came in handy when I was building my aquarium stand.  Her eyes got big and we talked about her corys and algae eaters for another 20 min.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1