using the co-ops foam filtration

dino

can someone explain how the co-ops filters work better than the store bought hanging filters, besides circulation, is it really drawing the water through the foam? mind you i am afraid of flying and physics says flying is possible, it is due to physics? if so then i understand my fears of it not working. LOL

• Like 1

They work better than fine foam store bought because they are more porous and do not clog quickly. The fine sponges start clogging the tiny pores almost immediately restricting the flow of water. This is my personal experience with them. I hated every sponge filter though I used them until I found these. I have always made alterations to sponge filters using an airstone but it was a pain to cut out and add an airstone. Coop designed theirs to simply put an airstone on. The smaller bubbles give more lift therefore more circulation.  The base of coop are also heavier and do not float. Again my own experience with them. I’m not the sciency type so if there is a sciency reason I have no clue. 
in my opinion better because store bought hanging you replace cartridges and throw away your beneficial bacteria. But if you add coop coarse sponge to hanging they work  just as well. Filter type is preferred and how much current you are trying to create and which you hate cleaning the least 🤣 none are really better at doing the job as long as you are not just throwing out cartridges 

Edited by Guppysnail
Add
  • Like 3

If your talking about the sponge filters the way they work is you connect it to an air pump, which pumps air down through a tube to the sponge. The air comes out of the tube and becomes a bubble in the hollow center of the sponge which displaces water and goes up to the surface. The displaced water is replaced by water coming in through the sides of the sponge which allows it to flow through the bacteria living in the sponge and any debris will stick to the side of the sponge.  As far as it being better or worse than an HOB is really up to personal preference, but a HOB does provide a stronger circulation.

• Like 2

Thank you, i too would stuff my hanging filter pumps with foam to cut down my costs, i hope these 2 large filters i have in my 35 gallon do their job. i love the fact that they also add the air bubbles to the mix, i rest easy knowing my underwater pets have air to breath, thats too funny saying my underwater pets need air.LOL

I have the one male tuxedo guppy and then a few females of assorted, i have had one litter so far and had to remove two of the babies due their their deformed backs, they looked like the were popping wheelies but i did use them has sushi for my 2 albino African claw toed frogs. they are going to keep my guppy population down for the most part. 

• Like 1

Sponge filters made me scratch my  head when I first got back into the hobby also.   When I was a kid it was mostly under-gravel filters or cannister filters.   Now I have them in all my tanks.   We have them in addition to hang on backs on a couple.
Co-op's is my favorite because like @Guppysnail mentioned you can add the air stone, and I also like the green color because plants can make it blend really well. 

• Like 3

someone told me back in the day the filter was a small plastic box that had a layer charcoal and then was covered in what they called angel hair filter stuff. I know i am dating myself here.

• Like 2

On 8/1/2021 at 4:36 AM, dino said:

someone told me back in the day the filter was a small plastic box that had a layer charcoal and then was covered in what they called angel hair filter stuff. I know i am dating myself here.

Same concept as the sponge filter. I still see lots of these in fish shops. 

• Like 1