Detritus Worms

ccurtis

So was looking at my tank and just noticed I have a lot of detritus worms. I don’t gravel vac often because my plants and find my parameters are more stable when I don’t do it. This tank have 8 cardinal tetras, 5 panda corys, 3 cherry barbs, and a bunch of shrimp I tossed in the other day to start a colony. This is my first time seeing them.  I’ve heard they are fish food for the most part and won’t hurt anything. Will they hurt shrimp? 

4A83ADE3-236A-4CF7-924E-8B6141361C46.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Everything I looked up on google about them says they are "a pest" or instructions on how to get rid of them. I think they actually look kind of neat. I was watching a little longer after I made this post and one of my corys came by and slurped up some of them. My thoughts were "problem solved I guess". Glad to know they won't hurt anything. I like the natural approach and like to see all the living things in the ecosystem do their thing as they would in nature.  

• Like 1

They won't hurt anything. Fish, snails, shrimp are totally fine with detritus worms. If you want to treat your fish with juicy live food, you might poke the substrate a bit with a chopstick or something similar to release some worms into the water column. My bitterlings loved when I did that. 

• Thanks 1