Woot! Tax return = Big Coop order! And a cycling question

Mary K

Just dropped a YUGE order!!  I love the Coop! 

Anywho...  I set my 29g and running with filter on Sep 2nd. I got plants and test kit on the 8th.  Sep 16 hurricane Sally paid a visit. (we are ok) and with out power for 2 days.  I added the cypress knee (with slate to hold it down) on Sep 19th.  No Fish yet.

image.png.900e02459ec8481b2f3ef02e9258176f.png

Here are my test results.  (I am just a newb so not familiar with how to show the results)  I have ordered some wonder shells to hopefully bump up GH.  Not sure what to do about PH.  

While getting the cycle going how often should I do a water change and how much? What test results am I looking for to know I can add fish?

Thanks for any help.

Mk

1228878292_IMG_2077(1).jpeg.c158ca45e68f7306678263560dbc5c6d.jpeg

Edited by Mary K

You don't really need to change water during cycling unless you have livestock that can be harmed by the swings in parameters, but you do need an ammonia source to feed the BB. The initial melt when you first put plants in can work, but if you want to get it started before your plants come you can sprinkle in a bit of fish food. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unless you are planning on keeping African cichlids, I think your kh and gh should be just fine. They are not the most important water parameters for fish, so as long as you don't have any extremes they don't usually matter too much. 

You might also want to double check the preferred of of fish you want to keep, and if it's a fish that tends to do better in a lower ph, I'd try to buy some that are locally bred and used to your water. 

As for the cycling question, you seem to be well on the way to a fully cycled tank, so as soon as both ammonia and nitrites get to 0 you should be fine to start adding fish

On 9/23/2020 at 7:25 PM, Mary K said:

Just dropped a YUGE order!!  I love the Coop! 

Anywho...  I set my 29g and running with filter on Sep 2nd. I got plants and test kit on the 8th.  Sep 16 hurricane Sally paid a visit. (we are ok) and with out power for 2 days.  I added the cypress knee (with slate to hold it down) on Sep 19th.  No Fish yet.

image.png.900e02459ec8481b2f3ef02e9258176f.png

Here are my test results.  (I am just a newb so not familiar with how to show the results)  I have ordered some wonder shells to hopefully bump up GH.  Not sure what to do about PH.  

While getting the cycle going how often should I do a water change and how much? What test results am I looking for to know I can add fish?

Thanks for any help.

Mk

1228878292_IMG_2077(1).jpeg.c158ca45e68f7306678263560dbc5c6d.jpeg

Edited by gcalberto
  • Thanks 1