Mini Pre Filter Sponge Coarse for Fluval Spec V with Betta

John Collins

I think the mini sponge will fit.  I had a spare medium size pre-filter sponge laying around (same inside diameter) so I tried it just now and it fit on, was a bit loose actually. I angle the output nozzle toward the glass to help hold it there.  

I'm assuming that you want to dampen the outflow and I think that the CoOp mini pre-filter sponge is a great idea.  A few years ago I wanted to do the same thing and I used the fluval edge pre-filter sponge on the outlet. It is a much finer sponge and I felt that it reduce the flow too much. I found a site called spec-tanks that showed different mods. one of them was to poke a hole in the discharge line inside the pump chamber to recirculate flow. I had my heater in that chamber and it worked good for awhile. eventually i felt the tank wasn't maintaining temperature well enough and just moved the heater into the main tank with an airstone under it.

• Thanks 1

That's what I was thinking. I have a Fluval Edge Pre-filter sponge at present and it really dampens things. Thanks for trying it out with the sponge you had on hand. That's really helpful and it seals the deal as far as me ordering one.

On 7/31/2021 at 7:57 PM, Rob E. said:

I think the mini sponge will fit.  I had a spare medium size pre-filter sponge laying around (same inside diameter) so I tried it just now and it fit on, was a bit loose actually. I angle the output nozzle toward the glass to help hold it there.  

I'm assuming that you want to dampen the outflow and I think that the CoOp mini pre-filter sponge is a great idea.  A few years ago I wanted to do the same thing and I used the fluval edge pre-filter sponge on the outlet. It is a much finer sponge and I felt that it reduce the flow too much. I found a site called spec-tanks that showed different mods. one of them was to poke a hole in the discharge line inside the pump chamber to recirculate flow. I had my heater in that chamber and it worked good for awhile. eventually i felt the tank wasn't maintaining temperature well enough and just moved the heater into the main tank with an airstone under it.

• 4 weeks later...

Pro tip- Some big chain "Pet--" stores price things like this sponge at a *significantly higher* price in their brick and mortar stores than online.  Always double check the price on their website (which they must match in store) before checking out.

• Like 1