New to discus

TomO

I’ve been a fish keeper since the early 70’s. But have never kept Discus. I’m thinking of adding two to my 55 gallon angelfish tank. Right now there are 5 angelfish. Would that tank be too small to add two discus? Also what type of food is good for them? Are they herbivores, carnivores or omnivores?

• Love 2

On 7/31/2021 at 2:38 PM, TomO said:

I’ve been a fish keeper since the early 70’s. But have never kept Discus. I’m thinking of adding two to my 55 gallon angelfish tank. Right now there are 5 angelfish. Would that tank be too small to add two discus? Also what type of food is good for them? Are they herbivores, carnivores or omnivores?

Discus are pretty easy. They like temps about 80° or warmer. They’re carnivores, but benefit from _some_ greens mixed in their diet. Live black worms are their absolute favorite. Here’s a 55 gal with 10x discus, 1x Threadfin Acara, and a few Bristlenose Plecos…

I like to buy them fairly young, and let them mature in my water. I perform 1x 30-40% water change a week. Sponge filters is all I use. Tight acrylic lid keeps water warm. Note added airstones — important for flow and aeration in warm water. Temperature is about 84° here.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 7/31/2021 at 2:38 PM, TomO said:

I’ll make just a few notes here about mixing Angels with Discus…

Remember that they’re all Cichlids, and need to establish a “pecking order” in the tank. Angels do fine in water in the mid 70°s, but Discus do well in slightly warmer water. It is possible that upping temps to help discus _might_ increase metabolism in your Angels, and could increase aggression.

Additionally, Discus tend to do much better in groups of 6x or more. In times past, we’ve observed certain Discus in smaller groups exhibiting con-specific aggression.

For what it’s worth, we generally refuse to pay more than $25 / discus. Be picky: the rounder, the better. Many stores get “culls” from fish farms.

• Like 1

Breeder that I have chosen (and 6 fully grown are coming next week!) says 82-83 degrees is his usual.  With my AC set at 72 in this Ga heat, can't get my Fluval setting to go above 82.  Ambient room temp need to go higher?  (I hate to suffer!)

Any advise on this Fluval heater adjustment.  (I never seem to do well with these new gadgets.)

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 6:26 PM, Ron Hudson said:

Breeder that I have chosen (and 6 fully grown are coming next week!) says 82-83 degrees is his usual.  With my AC set at 72 in this Ga heat, can't get my Fluval setting to go above 82.  Ambient room temp need to go higher?  (I hate to suffer!)

Any advise on this Fluval heater adjustment.  (I never seem to do well with these new gadgets.)

Cover the tank tightly. Holds in heat. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 10:47 PM, Kilrkitty08 said:

@Fish Folkwhat substrate do you use for your discus?  Would you recommend a 60 tall or 75 long?  

I think that a standard 75 gal tank is the perfect dimension for discus.

They don’t seem to be too picky with substrate. I have a 2-inch base of black diamond blasting sand (cheap - got at Tractor Supply) with a cap of Eco Complete. Many Aquarists prefer white sand or fine rock… or no substrate at all. In my setup, Malaysian Trumpet Snails are an epic cleanup crew, and multiply like rabbits in the substrate.

To get loads of discus tank setup ideas, check out the YouTube channel titled “Aquarium Official” to see what others do.

I like learning about Discus keeping from  Gabe at Jack Wattley Discus.

And here on the Forum, there are some wonderfully experienced Discus keepers with a wide range of experience. @Daniel sort of designed his home around a huge aquarium that used to house a bunch of discus. I think @Paul is keeping Discus presently. Lots more experience there than I’ve got to offer!  

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As has been mentioned before, I would not get just two discus, the more the merrier. The only time I would keep just two discus in a tank is if they are a breeding pair. I'd get a group of six, if you can afford them, get them in the 3.5-4" range, if not smaller is fine, just make sure they are fed well. Discus can get stunted quite easily from not enough nutrition. Mine love live blackworms and frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. As far as keeping with angelfish, it can be done, I have done it many times, and am planning my next tank that will house my wild Heckel discus as well as some F1 Peruvian wild angels. Keep them warm, I run my discus tanks in the 83-84* and well fed and do water changes you will be all set.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1