Feeding After Acclimation

Steve A

just my take on this. if they came form a local fish store, i wouldnt worry about it, and feed late that day or even next day. on the other hand, if they have been in the mail a few days, id give them a few hours then lightly feed. im sure there are a lot of different opinions on this, will be interesting to see.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 10:17 AM, lefty o said:

just my take on this. if they came form a local fish store, i wouldnt worry about it, and feed late that day or even next day. on the other hand, if they have been in the mail a few days, id give them a few hours then lightly feed. im sure there are a lot of different opinions on this, will be interesting to see.

They are overnighted from California to Texas. Expected delivery before 12 pm????  "LOL"

I find no matter where I get them after acclimation I put them in give them 15 minutes to figure out where they are then feed very lightly then feed lightly 1-2 more times that day so they get what I feel is the total daily portion. I find as soon as they get food in new location they feel safer knowing there is available food and are willing to start explorering. My crazy brain thinks they are thinking hey there is food water is clean nothing is chasing me let’s check it out it might be pretty cool here. My fish never hide after being put in one of my tanks. I attribute it to this. 

• Like 4

On 7/30/2021 at 12:12 PM, Steve A said:

Thanks Guppysnail, that sounds reasonable.  I just didn't want to shock them by over feeding it that might be a problem.

Like I said I use just a little each time a couple times that day to make them feel like there is always going to be food available in their new home

• Like 1