Molly Fight Night

Stef

Hi Everyone, I'm wondering if it's possible to ease some of the fighting between my two female gold dust lyretails. One is larger and constantly picking on the smaller one. They're the only fish in the 10 gallon planted tank. The tank was intended for a single betta who fell ill during cycling (he's ok now and back in his 3 gallon). The cycling process stalled after I took the betta out and it was recommended to me that mollies would help restart cycling, which they did nicely and without getting sick. Anyway, as I'm still working remotely and have the tank on my desk, the fighting is driving me nuts. I miss the calm of a betta cruising around just admiring himself and begging for food 😊.  But the mollies are very pretty and active and I was thinking of adding 1 or 2 additional female mollies.  Would this just give more "victims" for the larger one to pick on?  Do they every stop chasing each other in larger groups? I'm guessing the smaller tank is probably not helping the territoriality and adding more fish could strain the bio load (though I do regular testing and water changes). I could try to return them to my lfs, but would feel guilty.  So either 1) moving the tank out of the room so I don't have to witness the constant harassment, 2) splitting them up by moving the smaller one to another existing 10 gal with a betta, or 3), a few more molly peacekeepers.  Thoughts?

I should also mention that the smaller molly getting harassed isn't getting fin nipped or damaged, just chased into the plants where she hides for a few seconds and then comes right back out to nibble on stuff, gets chased back into the plants, repeat. The larger female is especially bad during feeding time. 

As long as you can keep a close eye on parameters, I think another two female Mollies would help. Keep in mind, they could still be pregnant when you get them....so another two can turn into another 20 really fast.

I have found Mollies to have somewhat individual personalities. Some are mellower than others, but all are hungry at all times.

Thanks @Jungle Fanand @quikv6.  I really don't want to move tanks (frameless) and would definitely not want to start fight club in the betta tank. I tried to make a video of them chasing, but they both seemed mesmerized by the camera light and just swam in place staring at the front of the glass like little angels.

P.S. I do have 3 small pieces of driftwood in the tank and was surprised how much they like nibbling on the wood and the air line. They're making great little cleaners 😄

@Stef it doesn't have to be wood, as long as you can disrupt the line of sight so they can both have an area where they can stay in peace. More plants can easily accomplish that. I know I have employed that strategy with great success in multiple cichlid tanks, my current Amazon tank, and in my backyard garden where I use it on several hummingbirds, as long as they don't see each other everyone is happy and peaceful, remove those plants, wood, or bushes and they might get ready to rumble.