Glofish danio is not eating

BF McUmber

I have a group of five (5) glofish zebra danios at work.  Four (4) seem to be active and fairly plump.  However,  my blue one has been not interested in eating and is getting skinnier. This is a stark difference from when I got them because it used to be a glutton. They would eat until their belly looked gigantic and kind of alarming.  

They currently just sit in front of the gradual filter current and just barely swim as required to maintain position. The other fish like to do this as well,  we have named it the treadmill. They will swim around the tank but not that much. 

The tank has been set up three months and the blue was the last one added.  I did not medicate the tank when I got the fish.  

Tankmates: 2 nerite snails, 3 amano shrimp, a bunch of cherry shrimp and shrimplets. Plants

Ph:8.2, kh: over 300, gh=over 300, nitrite: 0, ammonia:0, nitrate: 25, temp: 75.

Food: tetra color flakes, Hikari micro pellets

20210729_135143.jpg

20210729_135137.jpg

20210729_135053.jpg

20210729_135048.jpg

It could be internal parasites with the symptoms your describing I would treat with paracleanse it can take 2-3 course I would also try add some seachem garlic guard to his food to encourage him to eat I would also check your water parameters just in case something off

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

After a round of paracleanse my blue fish started eating and seemed like she was on the mend. She was still very skinny but I was hopeful as she was pooping.  However,  two days ago she lost a lot of her energy and ended up dieing which sucks. (The shrimp ate her over night which was impressive)

It was about two and a half weeks since my first dosing of paracleanse, so yesterday I started the follow up treatment to get any eggs.  

Today I noticed my green fish eats food but then pukes it all back up which is kind of concerning.  Then tries to eat again only to puke it up.  I think he is getting skinnier but he is still quite active. The above listed tank parameters are still stable after testing it.  

I have two other fish that are nice and plump,  and one long fin variety that has always been smaller bodied. When they eat you can see their stomachs expand.  

Should I just hold on to the hope of it being a parasite and expect paracleanse to deal with it or should I try something else? 

With internal parasites it can take 2-3 treatment 2week a part to cure your fish sometimes fish will spit food out they are still eating tiny amounts of the food there's always a chance something else is going on I would finish your second course of paracleanse and see how they doing if they are improving I would do third course of paracleanse

• Thanks 1

You may also want to try Levamisole, as it is a relatively well regarded treatment for internal parasites....sometimes parasites where paracleanse/general cure may be ineffective.

Levamisole is usually a med/dewormer recommended for wasting disease. I have done quite a bit of reading on this disease, as I have had a few platys come down with it. One of the traits that is sometimes seen with wasting is the desire to eat, but food will be spit out. Effectively, it's sort of the equivalent of a sore throat/inflammation, where the fish just can't ingest the food, and ends up spitting it out, and continues to waste away.

Flubendazole is also another option in the case where a fish is not eating, as it is absorbed by the fish, and subsequently is supposed to ease the "sore throat", of sorts. I would try Levamisole first, as it is pretty easy to dose, and has much better solubility in water, as opposed to Flubendazole.

To be honest, I have been treating a really stubborn case with a platy currently. The poor fish  has had General Cure, Metroplex, PraziPro, Levamisole, and just finished Flubendazole, all over the course of a couple of months. While the fish is still very skinny and appears to have a sunken belly, he can now swallow food, and swims actively, instead of sitting on the bottom as he was doing. I am clinging to that improvement, and hoping he pulls through.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

I agree, it's time for levamisole....and soon. I would skip the Prazi, though I think it would be fine alongside the Paracleanse. Fritz also sells a lavamisole product called Expel P, though I have never used that one.

In the interim, I would try to feed the fish some food with Paracleanse soaked in. Ingesting the med may be the only way to correct the condition, especially if it is getting dire.