Hello!! Here’s my tank. I’m looking for some exciting stocking ideas that aren’t livebearers because I have those coming out my ears! Tank is a 29 gallon. Filtered by a medium sponge (thanks to the coop) and a Fluval 207 with two full trays of seachem matrix. The light on top is a fluval plant 3.0. 

EF2F91C1-F3E4-47AE-B9AD-6AAABAEE84E9.jpeg

47 minutes ago, Bill Smith said:

I put Emperor Tetras in mine. They look AMAZING if you feed them up real good:

The picture does not do them justice. These guys are TWO INCHES LONG!!

2XmkTbFZLeEB1WAlGjRhAdxlOd5Tw87CoNgi-45NJMYaPqSOBS36Qigsgg8HPeRtiPEfeLco9rVvMgD5igG00lcx3u4zliZq9-29T7uQU4Sn4m9MTRByWxE5LDVLrMAlPWXnNfbA5NqU1ZiT4YRlX2iI-e-H1UJpvs27tEGb8u5lN7Q5JgU0FBiJiwIeV4NtRgcUxXlEeaZ43Qe6j7NoCoGRhEFc3zrzmHIpZoQd5rJp6mIR9InUE1YklBgPvnCceSlhU8mCPj6eKYZw6HTolONHpJaSI5K9nC3lV-24_N27OYJU-HgKF3CFWZXk5lPe-B14Z84UovbsW_AEihSNifhErP1tuWS2__Liza8LkhamxAL6ZmjNCKQ8_egRbZDN47Zb5V0qyFQML3neTQQkyuiOYbNFTtB64WtVF4x8sJkGy_Tanknlp4X_RQMabfccavuGk6NrnSeTkGAAa1cMT6wXNnsVsA6nIZ9xKPQ0H5GkKUfB16_QPl0RqxGC4zNDCaNuclMtqxtwvAVtCuBlo73dtNfwpDt5tgqGLuoY9Tha6bHXxza9hg8lmNwztImqH71EECRafLVPqnYOME6tsmcA895_KtqdOrPtXkurKSFaD8AHGcNdrk9IaxE1v2FIQo4_8mgZy3riQquonXX2QEcgo0R16uOtFLHOI3KUs4IpI6tg2tK5vEqPX840=w1184-h888-no?authuser=0

Unfortunately the picture isn’t showing for me but I do enjoy the look of emperor tetras. I just figured they need a little more space?

I'm trying to figure out what to do with a couple of 29s right now too. Was hoping to try Notho killifish in one but the eggs I bought didn't hatch so now I'm a bit stuck.

If you've never kept any sort of gourami I think they make great centerpiece fishes that have loads of personality and will actively explore every area of the tank. Find a species you like the look of and if it's a more peaceful one you could get a few but for most species singles are fine. Then I would pick whatever small schooling fish catches your eye and get a dozen of them.I 've kept a few different kinds of gouramis like that and it's something I'd always go back to, I just love them.

In my 29 I'm currently keeping dwarf rainbow up top, long fin red serpae terta mid and dwarf chain loaches on bottom with a opaline gourami as a center piece. In a planted tank they add activity and color. I have my blues, reds, with black and white.

Good looking tank! I agree with Bill about emperor tetras, but serpae tetras, lemon tetras, or costae tetras would also look amazing. Costae tetras may be harder to get a hold of, but they're definitely worth it. They have a blue sheen to them. You could maybe do a pair of apistogramma borelli or nannacara anomala as centerpiece fish, too. Hope yall like it

Edited by Ben
  • Thanks 1

Also stocking a 29 gallon soon! It looks like we had a similar idea with the wood decor! I will be adding a lot more plants in the next week or so.

Short term, I might throw some juvenile guppies in there to get things rolling. 

Long term, I would like to try German rams. A school of neon or cardinal/rummy nose tetras. A few Otocinclus. 

Then I have been wondering about the wisdom of squeezing in a Leopoldi Angelfish, which I just discovered were a thing, as a centerpiece.

I really want an angel, but I don't want to create an amazon basin tank in so much bloody reality that they eat the neons--hence the possible schooling fish options. Plus I have seen otocinclus school with rummy nose, and that was super cool...

IMG_20200714_145109.jpg

Guess I'll join in on the 29 spiderwood train too

Nothing but snails right now, kind of wishing I'd put my Chocolate Gouramis in here as a species tank and freeing up my 55 for angels, but I don't want to catch them all again 🙃

IMG_20200715_110104.jpg

11 hours ago, H.K.Luterman said:

If I were going to set up a new 29, I'd try my hand at dwarf flag cichlids. 

(image is not mine, found off google)

spacer.png

This gets my vote!  I've been reading about this species for for a bit and I may add some to my 40 gallon down the road.   They seem like great little fish!    I used to keep a pair of Keyhole cichlids in a 29 gallon and they were so much fun!   They are in the same Tribe as this fish so I'm guessing that their behavior is very similar.  

• 1 year later...

I have a well planted 29 gal hardscaped w/ rock & mangrove . stocked with 2 Bolivian Rams, 4 Hill stream loaches, 3 ottos,2 rummy nose, 6 ember tetras,  4 black neon, 4 cherry barbs. Weekly water changes. HOB and 4” air stone. Beautiful healthy tank