I have a peaceful 20 gallon community tank which has a little room for something else. 

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for any small fish that don't need to be in big groups that like to occupy the top third section of the tank? Even better if it's a surface feeder.

Hatchet fish need to be in groups right? 

My neon tetras and panda cories only use the bottom two thirds really and the top section always looks really empty. 

On 7/29/2021 at 6:05 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

You are speaking the language of the halfbeaks my friend! They only stick to the surface, are peaceful to other fish, and if kept in multiples need to be in a harem.

I know basically nothing about halfbeaks except hearing them mentioned once or twice on videos, brb looking them up 😄

Endler guppies love to hang out at the surface, especially if you've got floaters like red root floaters, or Amazon frogbit, they are smaller than halfbeaks, and gouramis,and  they don't need huge groups, but unless you manage to separate the males from the females they will create them on their own, and they don't necessarily confine themselves to just the surface.

Edited by Jungle Fan
  • Like 3

On 7/29/2021 at 8:13 PM, JettsPapa said:

Maybe a trio (1M, 2F) of honey gouramis?

Not sure I have the space for them, but didn't know they liked the top of the tank, thanks!

On 7/29/2021 at 8:34 PM, Jungle Fan said:

Endler guppies love to hang out at the surface, especially if you've got floaters like red root floaters, or Amazon frogbit, they are smaller than halfbeaks, and gouramis,and  they don't need huge groups, but unless you manage to separate the males from the females they will create them on their own, and they don't necessarily confine themselves to just the surface.

Actually I've got just a few male endlers and though they are great they don't hang out at the top much (actually they mostly hang out with the neon tetras lol)

On 7/29/2021 at 8:38 PM, Taco Playz said:

I really like my Golden panchax killifish you could get a trio of them. Although they probably won’t go good with the neons.

Would they be aggressive to the neons? Probably a no go if that's the case though they are lovely. 

On 7/29/2021 at 10:31 PM, anewbie said:

I'd buy 6 or 8 kubotai rasbora. They stay pretty close to the surface; constantly swimming - lovely little green fish. aquahuna sell them for not too much.

They do look awesome might have to check if they are compatible with my parameters and tank mates, didn't know they stayed up top! I'm in the UK so aquahuna is probably just for the US right?

On 7/29/2021 at 10:35 PM, Patrick_G said:

Gardneri Kilifish are ok with just a pair and like the top of the tank.  There are a few colors, but they’re all beautiful. 

1F6A376E-A9F1-4C1F-9BBC-FFA35AF5ADEA.jpeg

0A0B4F9D-167C-426E-A8ED-CC86CCAC4056.jpeg

Yep they are beautiful! How much do yours stay at the top? Are they peaceful? 

On 7/29/2021 at 10:38 AM, KentFishFanUK said:

@Biotope Biologist looking at them now, kinda cool though I was hoping for something even smaller but it's a definite contender. Can they be kept solo? Also would it matter about flow rate and cover? Only a smallish section of my tank has floating plants (I section them off to allow light to the rest of the plants)

Borneo redline halfbeak and the pygmy halfbeak stay at or under 2" and can be kept solo. A pair of females won't bicker if there is no male but with fish like them id either only do 1 or 3.

They are harder to come by, but very rewarding fish. They go crazy for mosquito and midge larvae.

On 7/29/2021 at 5:35 PM, KentFishFanUK said:

Not sure I have the space for them, but didn't know they liked the top of the tank, thanks!

Actually I've got just a few male endlers and though they are great they don't hang out at the top much (actually they mostly hang out with the neon tetras lol)

Would they be aggressive to the neons? Probably a no go if that's the case though they are lovely. 

They do look awesome might have to check if they are compatible with my parameters and tank mates, didn't know they stayed up top! I'm in the UK so aquahuna is probably just for the US right?

Yep they are beautiful! How much do yours stay at the top? Are they peaceful? 

Unfortunately I lost the male and I’m battling a fungus in the female.🙁 They seem to be prefer the top but use the entire water column. They seem very peaceful so far.