Superstitions about the aquarium hobby

Keeg

Hi everybody, I would like to know if any of you have any superstitions about the hobby. I only have one and I will stand by it no matter how many times people will try to prove it wrong to me. I believe that if you tell someone outside of the people in your home that you are breeding betta fish, the fish will either not breed or the fry will not make it to adulthood. I don't know why I believe it, but I will stand by it forever. 

I have run across several times hearing if you call a pleco by its full name it will perish. I have never heard the betta one. When the aquarium hobby began there were so many unknowns so many poor guesses at what was happening.  Now the internet and oft misinformation that is repeated and changed or added to…..I’ll bet there are hundreds.  Old water is a miracle workers etc. I’m looking forward to reading all the responses to this. 

• Like 1

Either Leviathan never listened to a single word I said, or I never called him by name in the 12 years he was with us.😉

The closest thing to superstition I've ever heard: Aquariums will make you sick/cause mold

• Like 1

@Keeg I have three id say

1. Same as yours essentially: Talking about a project too early can cause breeding to not occur or causing fry to not develop.

2. Do not move the puffer cave to check on eggs because it "causes" extra fighting.

3. If adults of any species do not breed within a month of arrival up here they will not breed at 9,100' in altitude.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/31/2021 at 6:38 PM, Kilrkitty08 said:

Okay, I read a thing on Pintrest and it may be true or not.  You can tell the age of Bettas by the "wrinkles or rings" around their eyes.  Does anyone know if you can actually tell the age of any fish?

If you bred them then yeah, if you bought them then its a little more tricky. Some fish have special scales that you can count like a tree's rings, but a lot of fish don't have them or scales at all. 

• Thanks 1