PLEASE HELP! My Betta is sick and I don't know what to do anymore :'(

David Calderone

Hey! I really need some help please!

My Betta fish developed a cotton-like spot next to his eye over 2 weeks ago but it faded in about 3 or 4 days using only methylene blue. A couple of days later he developed a white spot on top of his head probably due to an injure, and he stopped swimming… Now he remains still on the surface to catch some air and he hasn't eaten in about 2 weeks. I thought he might me suffering from Columnaris or Saprolegnia so I treated him with SulfaPlex and KanaPlex separately but none of them seem to work... So, I added some activated charcoal to my filter to remove the remaining SulfaPlex from the hospital tank. However, the white spot on my Betta's head has grown a little and the cotton-like spot next to his eye has reappeared (picture attached)... I'm almost certain it's fungus, but I don't know how to treat it since the SulfaPlex treatment did really nothing.

I've had my fish for about 8 months. I actually rescued him from a previous owner who didn't really care for him. His usual tank is 5 gallons, it's fully cycled and the parameters are fine but right now he's in a 2 gallon hospital tank. I usually do 25 - 40% water changes every week. I had recently added a new plant but my snail ended up eating all its leaves, leaving some sharp branches, which might be where my Betta injured himself. But what I'm most worried about is the fact that he hasn't eaten in a while and that he stays at the top of the tank.

I watched the video on the Aquarium Co-Op channel on how to treat fungus with aquarium salt, but do you guys think it’s gonna be ok for my fish? I mean, due to the fact that he might be really weak at this point for not eating in weeks.

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 12.08.36.png

I would get some API fungus cure and If that doesen't work I would do a aquarium salt bath. I did that with my guppies and made them better after I did a water change. Do not be afraid of aquarium salt it is a very safe treatment. Also welcome to the forum!

• Like 2

On 7/28/2021 at 12:50 PM, Taco Playz said:

I would get some API fungus cure and If that doesen't work I would do a aquarium salt bath. I did that with my guppies and made them better after I did a water change. Do not be afraid of aquarium salt it is a very safe treatment. Also welcome to the forum!

tysm 🙏

• Like 1

API fungus cure is great stuff. My limited experience with SulphaPlex (actually API Triple Sulfa) is that it is more of an anti-bacterial med as opposed to fungal.

Salt in addition to Fungus cure would be a great addition.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2021 at 1:28 PM, quikv6 said:

API fungus cure is great stuff. My limited experience with SulphaPlex (actually API Triple Sulfa) is that it is more of an anti-bacterial med as opposed to fungal.

Salt in addition to Fungus cure would be a great addition.

ok, im gonna try that, thank u so much...🙏

• Like 1