Rainbow Shiners Spawning (Oh please!)

Fish Folk

Question on placement.  Is you egg trap in your strongest flow area?  I have some pretty strong flow on one side of my 150 with pea gravel which fades off into sand on the other end.  I don't believe me females are quite ready / old enough so i have some time to get my catch system set up.  Just want to be ready when they are.  That and after raising them up it looks like I have 3 males and 11 females... What is the preferred ratio?

I am asking here after going through the other few rainbow shiner threads so the question isn't berried.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 3:11 PM, DSH OUTDOORS said:

Question on placement.  Is you egg trap in your strongest flow area?  I have some pretty strong flow on one side of my 150 with pea gravel which fades off into sand on the other end.  I don't believe me females are quite ready / old enough so i have some time to get my catch system set up.  Just want to be ready when they are.  That and after raising them up it looks like I have 3 males and 11 females... What is the preferred ratio?

I am asking here after going through the other few rainbow shiner threads so the question isn't berried.

I’d defer to @WhitecloudDynastyon this question. I _think_ Rainbow Shiners typically breed better with _more_ males than females, because it’s the females that “turn on” to trigger them all firing up. As for flow, the container in my tank is out in front of a mini pond pump, and directly under the HOB flow. It’s reasonably good placement… but ideally, they breed better if the rock pile is the _only_ structure in the tank.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 2:37 PM, Fish Folk said:

I’d defer to @WhitecloudDynastyon this question. I _think_ Rainbow Shiners typically breed better with _more_ males than females, because it’s the females that “turn on” to trigger them all firing up. As for flow, the container in my tank is out in front of a mini pond pump, and directly under the HOB flow. It’s reasonably good placement… but ideally, they breed better if the rock pile is the _only_ structure in the tank.

Thank you @Fish Folk and yes I hope that @WhitecloudDynasty puts in his recommendations. I have another 13 in a quarantine/grow out tank right now which are about half of the size and not colored up yet.  I have my fingers crossed that my ratio gets better once adding them to my big tank. 

I am learning, which is a good thing, that when it comes to large display tanks, they absolutely do not make the best breeding setups for anything that I currently want to breed.  The Rainbows look great in my 150 but I think I will have to set up a designated 20 long for egg collecting.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 3:00 AM, Fish Folk said:

Came in to work… Notropis chrosomus all fired up. Oh please, oh please! I hope I can gather some fertile eggs…

Holy moly they’re gorgeous! Good luck! 
Wow, I wish we had them in Australia, they’re so cool!!! Every time I see them on a video I just gawp… can’t imagine how nice they are in person.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2021 at 3:11 PM, DSH OUTDOORS said:

Placement will depend on your setup itself, they normally breed next to the flow not directly. If you breed them out of an bare bottom 20L, wherever you place the rocks is where they will breed. As for ratio I like 50/50, but not all females will be ready the same time so less males isn't too bad. 

• Thanks 2