Fin damage - blood red ends

Gideyon

I have a betta that is sick, and showing dropsy. 

Currently only doing aquarium salt. I've already completed kanaplex and had a little epsom in the tank as well. 

His bloat improved but pineconing is still there. More lethargic but does still swim when he wants, and still eats. 

So this morning I noticed this on his fins.  The ends turned pinkish shortly after getting him.   But the portions where the fins are red at the ends is what concerns me.  It looks like blood, and it's like that part of his fins were cut.

But I've seen bettas who nipped their fins and never saw it like this. 

Any idea?   I'm showing all the fins incase you notice something.  But the part in question is on the bottom of the picture. 

PXL_20210728_141912614~2.jpg

Edited by Gideyon

I see what you are referring to, though I think that should be a secondary concern to dropsy, to be honest. I have had 2 fish with dropsy, and unfortunately was unsuccessful with treatment both times.

With that being said, I think that you stand a chance, as you have 2 things going for you.

1) You saw a reduction in swelling/bloat....a very positive sign.

2) Your betta is still eating.

I think another Kanaplex treatment, ingested with food, would be a good plan. You can bing it to the food with Seachem Focus. An since the Epsom salt seemed to work, I think you should continue with that. (Just watch the GH/hardness doen't get crazy, as Epsom salt can raise it)

Sorry to veer off topic a bit. I just believe the dropsy symptoms are the most pressing. It can all be related.  Best of luck.

@quikv6, I appreciate the response.

I'll admit I was surprised he made it this far since noticing dropsy.  But his lethargy has me doubting if he can be cured. 

I was worried another course of kanaplex would harm his kidneys. 

He also has this greyish patch on his head that I think came from an internal parasite, likely due to stress. Maybe from treatment or just being sick. 

I'll look into focus and starting again.  I may wait until Sunday which will be a week since taking it out of the tank.