Germination pad for heating aquarium ??

FishyMike

When I was into making hard cider a couple years ago I would buy these electric Mats to heat up the cider so it would’nt freeze. Has anyone tried to do this on a full size tank?? I have a temp control module I would use as a regulator? Anyone ever heard of someone trying this?!?

C981F9FA-4EB2-4F3B-8A4A-62B19198C114.jpeg

I guess you want to use one so you wouldn't have an ugly heater inside the tank? I don't know enough about them but I just suspect it wouldn't work that well. Would they handle the weight of a full aquarium? I'm just thinking about punctures and water going someplace it shouldn't and electricity. Maybe somebody will come by that's used one I dunno. Just seems sketchy to me personally.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that! Yea I guess your right! I’m I. The process of peicing together a fish rack with auto change system and thought it would be cool to put it underneath the tanks so I wouldn’t have to put one in each. How to others keep multiple tanks warm when it gets cool in the winter? Does everyone buy a bunch of hang on heaters? I’m fairly certain heating up the room to 80 is not an option. All year round

On 7/27/2021 at 6:20 PM, Scott P. said:

Have you thought about somehow attaching it to the back of the tank?

If you could come up with a way to keep it against the rear glass it might work.

Just thinking out loud.

Do you still have one from the cider making?

Interesting thought! 

While I have not heard of anyone doing it in recent times, it was once not unheard of to heat the substrate of planted aquariums with heating cables.  If done correctly, I do not see why you could not use the mat you have. Sometimes experimenting in the hobby can be fun.  Let us know if you try it out.  Hear is a link that touches on the subject.  http://www.freshwateraquariumplants.com/substrateheating.html

I have done this for cultivating a tropical aquatic plant.  Three pieces of advice if you are going to try this:

1. Use a mat that has an external thermometer (which should go in the thank) and a programmable thermostat.

2. Check the wattage on the mat to be sure it has got enough heating capacity, as this method will be less efficient than having the heater directly in the water.

3. Make a sure the mat is smaller than the rim of the aquarium, and put thin piece of styrofoam under the mat, but leave a gap between the mat and the glass to prevent thermal shock problems.

Bonus tip: Probably obvious, but maybe don't try it on an acrylic tank.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1