What's your favorite anubias

Nanna petite is my favorite only because it is the only surviving plant from setting up my first planted tank 3 years ago.  I still question the petite part because the leaves are different shapes and sizes depending on location in the tank.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 5:43 PM, AlgaeIsYum said:

There are so many Anubias varieties with such a wide range of forms out there these days, a lot of them still very new and rare. I just recently learnt about Anubias 'jalapeño' and Anubias 'stardust', both look beautiful. Also some hybrid species varieties popping up as well. 

I'm careful with some of the new forms since Anubias rot has been making the rounds lately, and although it isn't certain yet what's causing it, it is known that some growers have created varieties by infecting healthy plants with viruses and then creating hybrids that look cool but aren't healthy plants because they are deficient in the chlorophyll they need for photosynthesis.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 5:37 PM, Jungle Fan said:

I'm careful with some of the new forms since Anubias rot has been making the rounds lately, and although it isn't certain yet what's causing it, it is known that some growers have created varieties by infecting healthy plants with viruses and then creating hybrids that look cool but aren't healthy plants because they are deficient in the chlorophyll they need for photosynthesis.

I found this when researching more types of anubias. Its hard to differentiate which ones are "true" and which ones aren't. I found most seem to be variants of nana or a Barteri which nana is itself. There are alot of rare kinds some are so rare I could only find single pictures of them with no info so it definetly needs to be better documented.

On 8/1/2021 at 9:30 PM, DannyBWell said:

I found this when researching more types of anubias. Its hard to differentiate which ones are "true" and which ones aren't. I found most seem to be variants of nana or a Barteri which nana is itself. There are alot of rare kinds some are so rare I could only find single pictures of them with no info so it definetly needs to be better documented.

The 4th edition of Christel Kasselmann's book "Aquarium plants" of which I have the German edition, the English version is available from her on her web site, has a nice section on Anubias, their origins, when they were discovered, or created, and each species particulars in regards to description, culture, ecology, and other specifics; altogether 14 pages with photos of each.  

-Anubias afzelli, discovered 1857, origin: Senegal, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Mali

-Anubias barteri var. barteri, discovered 1860,  origin: Southeast Nigeria,  Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea

-Anubias barteri var, angustifolia, discovered 1979, origin: Guinea, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Cameroon

-Anubias barteri var, caladifolia, discovered 1915, origin: Southeast Nigeria, Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea

-Anubias barteri var. glabra, discovered 1901, origin: Guinea, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Congo

-Anubias barteri var. nana, discovered 1979, origin: Cameroon

-Anubias barteri var, nana "Bonsai" aka. "petite", introduced 1997 by Tropica which first stated origin as Cameroon, later as bred in Singapore

-Anubias barteri var. coffeifolia, classified in  2013 by Kasselmann as its own variety of Anubias barteri

-Anubias "nangi", introduced in 1986 by Gasser from Florida by creating hybrid of Anubias barteri var. nana and Anubias gillettii

-Anubias gigantea, discovered 1939, origin: Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Togo, Cameroon

-Anubias gillettii, discovered 1901, origin: Nigeria, Cameroon, Gabon, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo

-Anubias gracilis, discovered 1939, origin: Guinea, Sierra Leone

-Anubias hastifolia, discovered 1893, Ghana, Togo?, Nigeria, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo

-Anubias heterophylla aka. "congensis", discovered 1879, origin: Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Angola (Cabinda Province)

-Anubias pynaerti, discovered 1910, origin: Cameroon, Gabon, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo

With anything else I'm being careful. Hope this helps.

Edited by Jungle Fan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/2/2021 at 11:35 AM, Jungle Fan said:

The 4th edition of Christel Kasselmann's book "Aquarium plants" of which I have the German edition, the English version is available from her on her web site, has a nice section on Anubias, their origins, when they were discovered, or created, and each species particulars in regards to description, culture, ecology, and other specifics; altogether 14 pages with photos of each.  

-Anubias afzelli, discovered 1857, origin: Senegal, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Mali

-Anubias barteri var. barteri, discovered 1860,  origin: Southeast Nigeria,  Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea

-Anubias barteri var, angustifolia, discovered 1979, origin: Guinea, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Cameroon

-Anubias barteri var, caladifolia, discovered 1915, origin: Southeast Nigeria, Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea

-Anubias barteri var. glabra, discovered 1901, origin: Guinea, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Congo

-Anubias barteri var. nana, discovered 1979, origin: Cameroon

-Anubias barteri var, nana "Bonsai" aka. "petite", introduced 1997 by Tropica which first stated origin as Cameroon, later as bred in Singapore

-Anubias barteri var. coffeifolia, classified in  2013 by Kasselmann as its own variety of Anubias barteri

-Anubias "nangi", introduced in 1986 by Gasser from Florida by creating hybrid of Anubias barteri var. nana and Anubias gillettii

-Anubias gigantea, discovered 1939, origin: Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Togo, Cameroon

-Anubias gillettii, discovered 1901, origin: Nigeria, Cameroon, Gabon, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo

-Anubias gracilis, discovered 1939, origin: Guinea, Sierra Leone

-Anubias hastifolia, discovered 1893, Ghana, Togo?, Nigeria, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo

-Anubias heterophylla aka. "congensis", discovered 1879, origin: Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Angola (Cabinda Province)

-Anubias pynaerti, discovered 1910, origin: Cameroon, Gabon, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo

With anything else I'm be careful. Hope this helps.

Thank you I will have to get this.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 11:35 AM, Jungle Fan said:

Do you know how much changes between editions and how frequent there is a new edition ?

On 8/2/2021 at 2:49 PM, anewbie said:

Do you know how much changes between editions and how frequent there is a new edition ?

@anewbieHer latest edition is as of 2019 and there are usually quite a few years in between, and there are lots of changes, for example the last edition did mention nothing about Anubias hybrids that were achieved by using vruses, nor did it have any Bucephalandra. If you are really into aquarium plants then this is the one book to have. By the way usually her books don't get cheaper as the years progress, they get harder to find and the prices get outlandish.

You can check this out for yourself.

https://www.christel-kasselmann.de/

On 8/2/2021 at 11:46 PM, Jungle Fan said:

@anewbieHer latest edition is as of 2019 and there are usually quite a few years in between, and there are lots of changes, for example the last edition did mention nothing about Anubias hybrids that were achieved by using vruses, nor did it have any Bucephalandra. If you are really into aquarium plants then this is the one book to have. By the way usually her books don't get cheaper as the years progress, they get harder to find and the prices get outlandish.

You can check this out for yourself.

https://www.christel-kasselmann.de/

Actually the reason i asked is the latest edition is nearly $100 but the first edition is only $35 (both english) which is why i asked the question. The secondary reason for asking is if you are going to spend $100 for a book you kind of hope it won't be out dated by next week.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 6:45 AM, anewbie said:

Actually the reason i asked is the latest edition is nearly $100 but the first edition is only $35 (both english) which is why i asked the question. The secondary reason for asking is if you are going to spend $100 for a book you kind of hope it won't be out dated by next week.

I could only find one site to buy it from in the us too so it's not like we have another option(assuming youre also from the us)

On 8/3/2021 at 5:45 AM, anewbie said:

The first edition is much thinner, a lot has happened since then, a lot more plants have been introduced and keeping plants has become more popular., and Christel has added more research. However, just because the new book has more, and updated info doesn't mean that you won't get any use out of the 1st edition, after all for a good long while it was all there was and people were doing just fine, so if the budget is tight, and I know how that is from personal experience, then I would say  get what you can afford, and $35 is a great price, I've seen them asking a lot more for used aquarium books, some so much that it made you wonder if it was joke.

Edited by Jungle Fan
  • Like 1