What's your favorite anubias

I think anubais is my favorite plant I've kept so far I have nana, coffeefolia, barteri, nangi, and currently waiting on golden and nana petite to arrive this week. The plant is just so easy to keep and it's exciting to see a new leaf starting or to see it flower. If I had to choose I think so far my favorite would be barteri.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 3:52 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

I have to go with the tried and true nana here. Had a beautiful 3 foot long one in my tank until a certain goldfish who shalt not be named ATE  IT DOWN TO THE RHIZOME

It managed to come back, but you could imagine my disdain when I got back home from school.

That's another thing I like about them is they seem like very hardy plants.

• Like 1

A. nana ‘Petite Golden’ is my current favorite but I fairly recently got some A. hastifolia and it’s terrific!  I really like the leaf shape - it’s the only Anubias I’ve seen that has a significantly different leaf shape with its arrowhead, almost lobed shape (as compared to narrow vs rounded).

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 11:20 PM, Odd Duck said:

A. nana ‘Petite Golden’ is my current favorite but I fairly recently got some A. hastifolia and it’s terrific!  I really like the leaf shape - it’s the only Anubias I’ve seen that has a significantly different leaf shape with its arrowhead, almost lobed shape (as compared to narrow vs rounded).

I was just reading about hastafolia I'm trying to figure out exactly how many anubias varients there are seems like there are a bunch!

On 7/28/2021 at 12:01 AM, DannyBWell said:

I was just reading about hastafolia I'm trying to figure out exactly how many anubias varients there are seems like there are a bunch!

When I do a Google search, the second link that comes up has loads of Anubias varieties.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 12:23 AM, Odd Duck said:

When I do a Google search, the second link that comes up has loads of Anubias varieties.

That's what I found too barteri has 5 different variations itself it would be cool to have a tank with all of them.

• Like 2

I like coffeefolia the most because of the wrinkles and deep green, but I also enjoy congensis when I can get it to grow straight rather than twisted leaves everywhere, plus the leaves are just massive when grown right. One of mine just started to put out almost 3 inch leaves!

• Like 3

Gold coin has done well for me. I got it to flower. 🙂

I loved my barteri, but it got too much salt and melted back. It's rebounding, but not what it once was. Hopefully in time it will become big and beautiful again.

• Like 3

On 7/28/2021 at 1:40 AM, anewbie said:

Some of the ones I like that have not been mentioned:

pinto (either nana or otherwise)

hastifolia

afzelii

barteri var. glabra
parva (looks similar to crypt parva but is an anubia)

Glabra is definetly on the must have list for me now it looks awesome very unique.

The anubias pinto is one of my favorites! There is a hobbyist in my area that is tissue culturing their own plants and then later selling them on his website. One of the plants he is playing around with is the anubais pinto. I'm excited because once he starts selling them, perhaps he will be able to get the price down.

But my favorite anubias that I own is the anubias golden coin. I currently have mine floating in my betta tank. I was going to plant it, but my betta named hugo seems to really like resting on it.

20210728_120652.jpg.32934209af90a2c9748c3f582fa8532d.jpg

• Like 2

There are so many Anubias varieties with such a wide range of forms out there these days, a lot of them still very new and rare. I just recently learnt about Anubias 'jalapeño' and Anubias 'stardust', both look beautiful. Also some hybrid species varieties popping up as well. 

• Love 1

On 7/28/2021 at 6:43 PM, AlgaeIsYum said:

There are so many Anubias varieties with such a wide range of forms out there these days, a lot of them still very new and rare. I just recently learnt about Anubias 'jalapeño' and Anubias 'stardust', both look beautiful. Also some hybrid species varieties popping up as well. 

I have to Google these now I love the jalapeno name