Hygrophila Pinnatifida, stem or epiphyte how do you like to grow it?

So Hygrophila Pinnatifida is a rather unique plant in my opinion in that it is commonly grown both as a stem plant planted in substrate and as an epiphyte plant attached to hardscape. 

It was one of the first plants that I saw and absolutely needed to get it. I love its unique leaf shape. I finally got some when I did my 40 breeder and it's growing nicely. I planted it as a stem. 

How do you like to grow it? 

Does anyone know how it grows in nature? 

If anyone has experience growing it both ways have you noticed differences is the plant depending on how its grown? Which way do you prefer? 

I've used it previously in combination with moss in Wabi Kusa balls to be placed in driftwood. I've seen it simply attached with glue in an acquaintance's tank, seemed to be doing equally well. Best results with it are with CO2 for sure.

How it grows in nature: Comes from the Province of Goa in India, where it grows in soft, slightly acidic water, loves flow, primarily found in irrigation ditches (rhizome attaches to pebbles and rocks, roots extend into the soil) and waterfalls (in waterfalls always as complete rheophytes with rhizome and roots - meaning all of it attaches to rock)

Edited by Jungle Fan
More on plant ecology
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I had hygrophila pinnatifida it grew both ways pretty prolifically.

When planted into the substrate it grew straight up to about 2 ft and I don't doubt it would have grown straight out of the water if I allowed it. It forms a pretty nice bush if you keep topping it and does so pretty quickly.

That very same plant actually threw runners that climbed and attached itself to the rocks. It seems to do fine either way but I noticed in my tank that all of its runners grew toward rocks/higher ground.

• Like 1