Greetings from Seattle!

Hello all! I am Aubrey and I have been in the hobby for just about 2 years now. I have learned so much from you guys in the community as well as dozens of YouTube pages and forums. I was logging nearly 60 hours of screen time a week just learning about fish for the first 6 months and now I’m a much more casual browser. I prefer the hands on method! I have 3 well established and 1 new and healthy tanks all with nano fish. They range in size from 3 gallons to 29 gallons. I want to learn hopefully from this forum how I can offload some of my guppies either to local people or by shipping if anyone has some insight I’m all ears! I’d like to say I’ve had great success with keeping and breeding guppies. I also have a betta, chili rasboras, kubotai rasboras and habrosus Corydoras. I’m always looking for something new and currently need something to stock my new 29 gallon so also feel free to share any ideas there! Looking forward to getting to know you guys and if you took the time to read all this boring crap, thank you and happy fish keeping!

-Aubrey

• Like 6

Hi Aubrey, I'm also in Seattle! I've been keeping fish for about 20yrs off and on and currently have way too many tanks going, lol. 

For your 29g, do your prefer using fish that like our low PH/softer water here? Or are you willing to use buffers to keep things that would like more mineral water? Also, is it more of a display tank or a fun for you tank? 

Edited by JessicaD

Nice, more Washingtonians 🙃 

Does everyone else but me have soft water around here? I am in Auburn and all our water is well drawn and comes out of the tap at like 7.8ph and maxes my test kit on GH and KH. one of the reasons I keep so many African cichlids and guppies. 

7 hours ago, JessicaD said:

Hi Aubrey, I'm also in Seattle! I've been keeping fish for about 20yrs off and on and currently have way too many tanks going, lol. 

For your 29g, do your prefer using fish that like our low PH/softer water here? Or are you willing to use buffers to keep things that would like more mineral water? Also, is it more of a display tank or a fun for you tank? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JessicaD said:

My water comes out of the tap at about 7.4 here in lk Forest pk. 

15 hours ago, Edward Steven said:

Nice, more Washingtonians 🙃 

Does everyone else but me have soft water around here? I am in Auburn and all our water is well drawn and comes out of the tap at like 7.8ph and maxes my test kit on GH and KH. one of the reasons I keep so many African cichlids and guppies. 

Yep pretty soft up here near Mount Vernon, PUD beats on it pretty good at the treatment plant.

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2020 at 1:54 PM, JessicaD said:

Hello from all the way out east!  It may be argued there is no such thing as "way too many tanks."  Granted, at this point I barely afford the one I have lol!  

My water comes out the tap at about 6.25 so I keep a lot of South and Central American cichlids and other tetra species, but for your 29 gallon I personally would go with some guppies, nothing fancy just some ordinary mutt guppies, throw some guppy grass or some other type of floating plant in there and start a colony of guppies. When the colony gets too big, scoop some out and see if your LFS would buy them and then you would have some money to put back into your tanks and possibly upgrade. But thats just my opinion so ultimately its totally up to you. Have fun setting up your new tank!!!!

-fishnerd