Deficiency!?? Help

Thinking nitrogen but ,if it's just melt or another deficiency please haaaalp! Have root tabs. Have been dpsing easy green twice a week 5 pumps for 55 gallon. Have also used easy iron once a week. Ammonia is good. Nitrites are 0 ppm . nitrates are 10 ppm. The vallisneria and one of my newer swords are starting to show a little growth. But radican swords and anubias are yellowing/ whitening and anubias is curling. Thanks 

16273419218566489611482255951761.jpg

16273419344001205481717962624868.jpg

16273419427194431753950133076498.jpg

On 7/26/2021 at 4:26 PM, Kyle murfitt said:

Thinking nitrogen but ,if it's just melt or another deficiency please haaaalp! Have root tabs. Have been dpsing easy green twice a week 5 pumps for 55 gallon. Have also used easy iron once a week. Ammonia is good. Nitrites are 0 ppm . nitrates are 10 ppm. The vallisneria and one of my newer swords are starting to show a little growth. But radican swords and anubias are yellowing/ whitening and anubias is curling. Thanks 

Hi @Kyle murfitt

Are you in the Seattle area by any chance or using RODI water perhaps?  In any case can you please supply some water parameters from your tank for me. specifically pH and hardness (both dKH and dGH).  -Roy

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 9:37 AM, Kyle murfitt said:

I'm in Texas,  between Houston and Galveston.  Ph is 7.4-7.8 nitrates 10ppm nitrites 0ppm ammonia 0.25 or less 

Hi Kyle,  Based upon the coloring of the plants, the interveinal chlorosis on the newer leaves I would say the primary issue is insufficient available iron.  You are dosing Easy Green however I have been unable to find what type of iron is used in that product.  Most likely it is EDTA chelated iron which is fine in neutral or acidic tanks but when the pH of a tanks is above 7.0.  Many aquarium fertilizers use EDTA chelated iron because it is the least expensive form of iron for plants.  I would suggest supplementing your fertilization with a product that does not use EDTA iron, I like Seachem Iron.  It is made from ferrous gluconate is is easily absorbed by plants even at higher pH levels.  Dose it per the instructions on the bottle and watch your new growth.  DO NOT WATCH EXISTING LEAVES, THEY WILL NOT IMPROVE.  After a couple of weeks you should notice the new leaves that emerge since the change are greener, healthier, and you may see improved plant growth.

The other issue deals with the curling and 'cupping' leaves which can indicate a need for more magnesium.  Go to your local drug store and pick up some Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate, MgSO4).  Get the cheapest stuff on the shelf with not additives or scents.  Do an initial dose of Epsom Salt to your tank of 3/8 teaspoon per 10 gallons.  This will add about 5.0 ppm of magnesium to your tank.  Then, when you do a water change add 3/8 teaspoon per 10 gallons of NEW WATER.  Again the existing leaves will not change, watch the new leaves as they mature, do they stay green, are they more flat?  If so then that was this issue.  Hope this all helps! -Roy

CARE01.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2021 at 11:51 AM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi Kyle,  Based upon the coloring of the plants, the interveinal chlorosis on the newer leaves I would say the primary issue is insufficient available iron.  You are dosing Easy Green however I have been unable to find what type of iron is used in that product.  Most likely it is EDTA chelated iron which is fine in neutral or acidic tanks but when the pH of a tanks is above 7.0.  Many aquarium fertilizers use EDTA chelated iron because it is the least expensive form of iron for plants.  I would suggest supplementing your fertilization with a product that does not use EDTA iron, I like Seachem Iron.  It is made from ferrous gluconate is is easily absorbed by plants even at higher pH levels.  Dose it per the instructions on the bottle and watch your new growth.  DO NOT WATCH EXISTING LEAVES, THEY WILL NOT IMPROVE.  After a couple of weeks you should notice the new leaves that emerge since the change are greener, healthier, and you may see improved plant growth.

The other issue deals with the curling and 'cupping' leaves which can indicate a need for more magnesium.  Go to your local drug store and pick up some Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate, MgSO4).  Get the cheapest stuff on the shelf with not additives or scents.  Do an initial dose of Epsom Salt to your tank of 3/8 teaspoon per 10 gallons.  This will add about 5.0 ppm of magnesium to your tank.  Then, when you do a water change add 3/8 teaspoon per 10 gallons of NEW WATER.  Again the existing leaves will not change, watch the new leaves as they mature, do they stay green, are they more flat?  If so then that was this issue.  Hope this all helps! -Roy

CARE01.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

• Like 2

@Mmiller2001@Kyle murfitt

Thank you Mmiller2001 for confirming what I suspected, that EasyGreen uses EDTA chelated iron in the formula as I suspected.  The ETDA iron is basically unavailable to plants when the pH is higher than 7.0 but works well in acidic tanks. As you can see in the chart below only about 5% of the EDTA Chelated iron in solution is available to plants when the pH is 7.3.  Even at 6.5 pH only about 55% of the EDTA iron in a solution is available to plants.  That is why I suggest supplementing EasyGreen with Seachem Flourish (dose per instructions) for tank with a pH greater than 7.0. -Roy
spacer.png

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 6:05 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I wonder which one is true? That email or @Koi picture?

LOL, good question!  Don't you hate it when you get conflicting information.  It doesn't say what percentage of each type of iron is used.....is it mostly EDTA or ???.

@Kyle murfitt Try the additional iron, wait a month, and evaluate your new foliage, it still looks like insufficient iron.

• Like 1

The e-mail from @Mmiller2001 refers to Easy Green All in One, the picture from @Koidepicts Easy Green Liquid Iron which does contain all three ferrous gluconate, DTPA iron, and EDTA chelated iron.

My recommendation would be to start using root tabs every 6"  in addition to continuing to use Easy Green and adding Easy Green Liquid Iron, as well as Seachem Flourish Potassium because in addition to the chlorosis I can see several holes in those leaves.

Edited by Jungle Fan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1