cyanide poisoning treatment with cyanide poisoning treatment methylene blue

Taylor Blake

Ok so this is something that I believe is known elsewhere but I feel most aquarists don't know. So according I was listening to the podcast of a live stream Cory was doing where he was talking about rope/reed fish. He was talking about how some batches are more difficult to keep alive and healthy. I've learned that many fish are collected using cyanide in the water. It is often used for reef fish but also in Africa and Asia in places that are difficult to get nets in or difficult to collect large numbers. Reed fish are often harvested this way and can die due to the cyanide that builds up in their system. One of the few treatments for this to my understanding is methylene blue. I don't fully know how all the chemistry works but to my understanding the cyanide and methylene blue will bond into a non toxic form that the body can expel. If anyone has more info they would like to share please feel free.
Thank you all for reading my Nerm nonsense.

@Taylor Blake I don’t think we know for certain all the ways that methylene blue works against the effects of acute cyanide toxicosis.  It appears it might be a multi-factorial treatment.  But as far as I know, I don’t think it does anything about the long term consequences of sublethal doses or chronic exposures.  We aren’t likely to get fish soon enough for methylene blue treatment to help.

• Like 1