Tragedy :(

KentFishFanUK

I found my lovely little hillstream loach who I was discussing on the forum just yesterday dead today and I don't know why. 

There are no obvious signs of injury or infection externally and didn't look like it had a sunken belly or anything. 

I can see what looks like internal bleeding inside him but doesn't that happen after death? If not what could have caused it? He has also lost a lot of colour and looked washed out but again that happens when a fish dies anyway right? I can post pics if anyone thinks it might help. 

He seemed fine just yesterday, munching on algae and repashy soilent green and quite active etc. 

Unfortunately I won't be able to check parameters until tomorrow morning but all other fishes seem fine. 

Temperature has been about 76-78F since he went in 10 days ago which is a little warm but I didn't think overly so. I know they like lots of oxygen but I have two air stones plus an internal power filter with its outflow above the water line so thought that would be enough? 

I did do some maintenance with around 20% water change recently but that must have been a good 48 hours before time of death. 

He/she was the only hillstream loach in the tank so I have no idea if I should get a new one, obviously I want to but not if it's just likely to die as well. I've had a couple fish deaths before but they were one out of a group of the same fish and as the others were fine I decided it was ok to replace them but as it was the only one I'm not so sure. What would you guys do?

• Sad 1

On 7/26/2021 at 1:13 PM, KentFishFanUK said:

The dark blob wasn't there yesterday anyway 😢

The dark patch could be food in the stomach nothing jumping out at me some times fish die for no apparent reason  it's just one of life mystery

• Thanks 1

What I would do is wait  a couple of weeks just in case it was a disease that killed him and monitor your other fish after two weeks if no one else showing  signs of illness then I would add more fish

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

On 7/26/2021 at 3:07 PM, Colu said:

What I would do is  a couple of weeks just in case it was a disease that killed him and monitor your other fish after two weeks if no one else showing  signs of illness then I would add more fish

Yeah I won't rush out get one straight away or anything, just not sure whether I should try again full stop, don't want to kill another one but would like to keep one, so sort of conflicted