60 Gallon Hex, my first re-seal

Tower258

I finally got around to resealing my 60 gal hex and I'm pretty happy with the job I did. the vertical seams look great!IMG_20210725_205854.jpg.f5d20a71f26301e36cc7c40369584c35.jpg

and the bottom... well that gets covered with substrate haha.IMG_20210725_205926.jpg.715e401faf17787a46fdab51fe907816.jpg

IMG_20210725_205918__01.jpg.7598d5b67a7bd583def555719a978144.jpg

The next few things to think about are scape, stock and the possibility of leaving it rimless. I have top trim for it but kind of like the rimless look. I've never owned a rimless tank, are there any draw backs that I may not immediately thing about?. As for stock/scape, the dimensions are little odd for a hex. Its wider(27.5 in from face to face) then it is tall (22.5 in) (with 16 in faces). This gives me a large foot print with 55 gal height but 20 long length. I was thinking angel community but would love to hear other ideas. I am a total novice when it comes to scaping. I have seen some pretty amazing looking tanks using the "island" style. I'm imagining something with sand up front, transitioning into a built up kind of forest look. viewable from 4 of 6 sides. My wallet hurts just thinking about it (granted I have an endless supply of bronze crypts from my dirted 20 long). I definitely want to do plants, but I'm a DIY light kind of guy and I like to keep things low tech (i hear C02 is expensive up front).

1748147762_60hexresealed.jpg.c264ecd2611989b1dc0e8a583fc1195f.jpg

in conclusion, I'm super excited about this tank as I think it could be something beautiful and unique! but I would love to hear stocking ideas and see some of your low tech scapes and hopefully find some inspiration! (the above pic is not the final location of the tank)

Thanks!!

• Like 3

Nice work!  Who cares about the bottom?  I can’t advise on rimless or not, I’ll leave that up to someone with experience.

But I think angels in this tank would look fantastic!  A bunch of jungle val for them to swim through, maybe a big sword or 2.  Sand bottom with a few well placed rocks and some tree root looking driftwood.  That would be amazing!

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 1:01 AM, Odd Duck said:

Nice work!  Who cares about the bottom?  I can’t advise on rimless or not, I’ll leave that up to someone with experience.

But I think angels in this tank would look fantastic!  A bunch of jungle val for them to swim through, maybe a big sword or 2.  Sand bottom with a few well placed rocks and some tree root looking driftwood.  That would be amazing!

Thanks, I was little nervous because the silicon was a pain to get out the first time. Root like wood with jungle val is a good idea. This is my first tank deep enough for jungle val so I would like to try it.

• Like 1