Help wanted! Sick, treasured betta

Just a Pygmy Corydora

Aurora (my male veiltail)  is sick. The water is good, the temperature is fine, I don’t know what’s wrong. He rarely eats his food, and you all know that he goes crazy about pellets normally. He rests in the bottom of the tank, only moving to get air or go to a different spot to rest. His stomach is bloated. What should I do??? Anyone who sees this, if you could reply ASAP then I would be so grateful.

Edited by Just a Pygmy Corydora

What does he normally eat? He could be constipated - I’ve heard that daphnia is good to clear the stomach, if you’ve got access to some. 

When you say the water and temperature are good, what specifically are the numbers? Do you know if they’ve changed at all, or have they stayed the same? 

The photo in your signature looks like he has finrot, or maybe too strong a flow is tearing his fins - is that what he looks like now? Or has he changed appearance since that photo was taken? Does he share a tank with other animals? Live plants or artificial ones? 

He doesn’t eat, PH is 7, no ammonia, no nitrates, no nitrites. Temp is 77 degrees, the photo is his natural appearance as I got him from aquarium co-op and he was like that when I bought him. I have a nano sponge filter live plants, a nerite snail, and 5 Pygmy corydoras.

Edited by Just a Pygmy Corydora

What I would do is an Epsom salt bath 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for no more than 15 minutes 2-3 a day as it acts as a muscle relaxants he could be constipated I can't tell of your pictures does he have any pineconeing of his scales 

• Like 2

With symptoms your describing I think he is suffering from dropsy I would treating with kanaplex and  aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons direct to his tank the salt will help reduce the fluid buildup

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Dropsy is caused by a internal bacterial infection that affects the organs causeing fluid buildup it is treatable depending on how early you catch it  the better the odds of recovery

Edited by Colu
  • Like 6

@Just a Pygmy Corydora stop feeding him. At this point food will only make the treatment worst. This goes for your corydoras as well, as aurora would probably eat the pygmy corys food. 

At this point follow the treatments instructions on the botttle, and give aurora rest. You may want to consider to turn off the lights.

Edited by James Black
  • Like 2

@Just a Pygmy Corydora not in the slightest!

Just because your not feeding the fish doesn't mean the fish isn't eating.

There are tons of bacteria, algae, etc. that we cant see in the aquarium that our fish can and even find tasty. Fish can go weeks, sometimes even months on end without a human coming to feed them every day. 

In the wild do fish get fed by humans every day? no they don't, they feed off the tiny little crustaisions, bacteria, and algae that we can also find in our aquarium!

This is why sometimes you will see people going a way on vacation without anyone coming to feed there fish. I do that a lot. I've been gone for weeks on end, and haven't ever come home to a dead fish.

• Like 3

Well at least she can still get off the bottom. I think there is still hope for her. Keep following the kanaplex directions and stop the food for a few days. I know it’s counterintuitive but think of the times people have the flu for a week and hardly eat anything. I hate not feeding my fish, but it really does help when they’re sick like this. We don’t want to stress her organs by making her digest too much. And if you can, try to keep from checking on her toooo often so she can get some rest. ❤️

• Like 1