Ember tetras - no color after 2 weeks?

DebSills

kind of battling two issues right now - a possible columnaris infection, detailed in a different thread...but, also have three of my 18 tetras that have literally zero color - the others all are at least a light orange color, and some are that nice deep orange/red color. I am at a loss for why those couple would still not have any color at all...not even a tinge on their fins...literally grey/clear all over and have been that way since I brought them home

anyone have any ideas? they all came from the same lfs, so kind of confused at this point, I thought they would color up after a few days (which most did), but these have been in the tank for 2+ weeks...

any help is appreciated

@Colu here are a couple of pics - sorry about the quality of the second image, but she was in the back of the tank so hard to get the camera to focus on her, but you can see the color of one of the other embers in that pic as well...also, there is not a spot in his eye, that is a bubble I think or just a reflection...not ick

@Mmiller2001 I just did a water change, so I want to let it filter for a little bit so the readings are accurate, the only meds I've given was KanaPlex for the past week (third treatment yesterday) for possible columnaris...I will post parameters shortly, but have been fairly consistently at Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate ~7, PH 7, Kh 3, Gh 7

20210725_163221.jpg.ae07310bec4b1bc60b5de6087fe18d74.jpg20210725_163239.jpg.0a1faa0d2045859f428e4560a12e2924.jpg

Usely loss of colour means there stressed or sick I found I few pictures  of ember tetra that have gone pale  there seems to be a lot of people having the same problem with there ember tetra some have try treating them for a bacterial infection others for parasite I can't find much out other then it seem to only effects ember tetra sometimes they colour up other times they stop eating and die

Screenshot_20210725-230611~2.png

Screenshot_20210725-230523~2.png

• Like 1

@Colu yeah, that's exactly what mine look like, but have been that way since the day I brought them home 2+ weeks ago, so hopefully they're still not stressed 😞 I just finished a round of KanaPlex, so not sure if I want to medicate again, or maybe wait a week and then do the quarantine trio that I should have done weeks ago...lesson learned...

@Mmiller2001 here are my readings...

ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5 (its low, I haven't been able to dose any easy green for ~2 weeks due to medicating this past week), Ph 7, Kh 3, Gh 7

The fish in question are eating, but the female does hide a bit more than the pale male does - she is usually back there with other fish though, so not sure...I may wait a week and then try the quarantine trio - I do think I need to dose some easy green to bring my nitrates back up though

Thanks, Kanaplex was used for possible columnaris, after consulting here first and it does seem to have cleared the faded patches on the fish I was initially worried about...my concern/question now is whether to worry about the ones who never had any color...they seem to eat and are about as active as everyone else...

On 7/25/2021 at 4:52 PM, DebSills said:

@Mmiller2001 here are my readings...

ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5 (its low, I haven't been able to dose any easy green for ~2 weeks due to medicating this past week), Ph 7, Kh 3, Gh 7

The fish in question are eating, but the female does hide a bit more than the pale male does - she is usually back there with other fish though, so not sure...I may wait a week and then try the quarantine trio - I do think I need to dose some easy green to bring my nitrates back up though

I had a similar situation. I did the med trio, but some time later a few would sperate and then later die.

I just went ahead and dosed PraziPro for 2 weeks. 1 week off then dosed the 4th week. No more deaths and they colored up to normal.

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 1