Favorite breeder box?

laritheloud

I'm looking for a half-decent breeder box for my 55 gallon so I can breed and raise X. la mintzita platies. I'm new to this, so does anyone have any favorites? I'm considering the Fluval breeder box, but I'm seeing I'll probably need to DIY something to make sure fry don't escape out the outflow holes...

I use a box that hangs off the side of the tank, but if I were ordering new I’d probably go with aquarium coop’s version that sits in the tank: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/ziss-premium-breeder-box

I personally like the systems that force water through the box using an airlift. I’ve tried (home-made) mesh boxes and my versions never circulated enough water to keep the box clean.

The nice thing about the coop box is the outflow is through screens, so you don’t have to worry about anyone escaping. 😊

I’d recommend keeping a snail in the box with the fry as well—they’ll eat algae off the screens and keep them clear.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 4:15 PM, Hobbit said:

I use a box that hangs off the side of the tank, but if I were ordering new I’d probably go with aquarium coop’s version that sits in the tank: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/ziss-premium-breeder-box

I personally like the systems that force water through the box using an airlift. I’ve tried (home-made) mesh boxes and my versions never circulated enough water to keep the box clean.

The nice thing about the coop box is the outflow is through screens, so you don’t have to worry about anyone escaping. 😊

I’d recommend keeping a snail in the box with the fry as well—they’ll eat algae off the screens and keep them clear.

I was hoping someone would chime in about whether the Ziss was worth it! I might want to try using it for my honey gouramis, too... once my male successfully entices a lady to his nest. I have plenty of snails so that should be no problem at all.

Thanks!

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 4:23 PM, Hobbit said:

I think the ziss will be perfect for platys! The honey fry *may* be small enough to fit through the screen, but I can’t say for sure.

I can always use my extra 10 gal tank for the honeys 🤣 we'll see how it goes!

• Like 1

I like the Fluval boxes. The net breeders can sometimes have fish getting eaten through the mesh if a baby is lying on or against the mesh. A piece of foam does a nice job of stopping baby fish from sneaking out the overflow on the Fluval boxes.